Menu

Grossly Practical Questions about Going to bathroom (for dogs)

I'm trying to learn the practical ins and outs of taking care of a disabled dog and hopefully rehabilitating her. So here are some questions about going to the bathroom.

If she can pee and poop that means that those muscles are working and I don't have to express her etc. right?

What then is the difference between being "incontinent" and not? If she is incontinent would it just dribble out continually? She seems to hold it until she's full and then it comes out.

This is where my questions get technical for dogs. We've been starting to take her out at regular intervals (after eating or drinking) to the yard. We hold her standing on the yard and give her the bathroom command (which she already knew from her pre-disabled life). Even though we're holding her up, her muscles get very shaky from standing. She can't squat like dogs do to go. So far she hasn't gone outside for us. Do you think this is because she needs to be able to squat? Do you think I should keep doing this? (Vets say "yes" but they aren't as much help as I thought they would be on the really practical stuff.)

I would keep taking her out, if only so she knows the pattern she will once again return to. I can see how not being able to squat would interfere with her.

I would recommend you not take her out after she eats and/or drinks. I would take her out 30 - 45 minutes after eat/drinking. If that doesn't work, an hour. Watch when she's relieving herself inside and time it from when she ate/drank to help decide when it's best to take her out.

If her muscles are shaking when you take her out to go to the bathroom, maybe she's too tense to go at that time?

I'm not sure she'd be constantly dribbling if incontinent. I definitely think it's too early to tell. She's still too weak and probably too much swelling still.

Poor Libby. :sad: Poor EVERYONE!:grouphug:

How are you holding her, in a towel sling? In my experience, having to help dogs like this they really don't like having the person so close. I've had to drop the towel sling and step away to give the space/privacy even though the dog sometimes will fall or stumble. If you're using a sling try to ease the pressure on her belly if you can, we've used another sling under the ribcage to offer stability without interfering with their abdomen for a moment while they go. We've had luck taking them to tall grassy areas where they feel more sheltered to pee/poo. We had one dog that liked to lean against a wall to go.

So do keep taking her, try to take her when you know she needs to go obviously. She is either wanting to be discreet or she wants to be able to squat. I can't remember if she had injuries to the rest of her body to prevent her squatting? I know she had the head injury..

If you aren't supporting her with a sling definitely do, help her to squat just a little. It's the motion that she wants, it's not necessary but in her mind it is. She wants to feel stable and lower her rear to pee and possibly have some privacy while she does... so anything you can do to help that. Bring the ground to her, if you can pile some landscaping mulch deeply so she doesnt' feel like she has to squat so far, deep sand/soil, grass... take her there with support and help her to stay upright, she may be afraid of falling...

ETA if she can hold it until she can't any more she's not incontinent.

Edited by livingnlearning

To what degree? Are you taking her in a sling or can she stand on her own?

She cannot stand on her own. Her back legs move and can bear weight. Her left front leg is slow to move but it can move and it will bear weight briefly. Her right front leg moves infinitesimally and cannnot bear weight at all. We carry her out and prop her up - we've just used our hands to stabilize her but we cannot let go or she would flop to the ground. We esp. have to support her front end and take some of the weight for her.

OK, I'm sorry I hadn't read your post recently to know where she was at....I was just trying to find it.

I would maybe try a towel sling on her chest and her abdomen and when you have her in a likely place, lower the support on her rear end to simulate squatting but hold her very steady, obviously, and give her a lot of time. She may be having to think about how to release. The drugs are clouding her as well. I would cut two holes in a towel to make a chest sling and then use another towel for her back half, use them to manipulate her body to as normal a situation as possible. Take her to her usual pee spots or make her one as I suggested above, with nice soft squishy landscaping materials.

The towel sling will give her a more generalized support and give her more of a feel of normalcy. You probably never held her before while she peed and it's hard for them to be touched while they're supposed to go. And the towel slings will save your back!

Good luck, I'll keep thinking about it too. You're doing a good job with her, it just takes time and ingenuinity!

I don't know if anyone has mention this to you. When one of my dogs had back surgery, the vet recommended a doggie wheelchair. He had it set to the lowest setting so the dog still could put his legs down attempting to use them and it replaced us standing up using the sling for the dog. It also gave our dog the privacy to feel he could go without lookers. You can get one off of craigslist.

Denise - Thank you. Your tip on timing is very good. And thank you for the hugs.

LivingnLearning - Thank you. I will make a towel sling. I like the idea of cutting holes for her arms. I'll also try to find her a more private spot to go.

Jean, first, I've missed the original thread and I want to say how very sorry I am that one of your sweet Springers has been injured! I know how much a part of your family they are, and how your hearts must be hurting.

One tip I was given recently-- to make a sling for a medium sized dog, take one of those re-usable grocery bags like they sell in every grocery store, with the sturdy straps. Not the disposable plastic ones, but the sturdy canvas re-usable type. Cut out each side so you've basically got a long rectangle with straps on either side. It really helps move the dog more easily and gives a wider "belt" of support under the entire chest and abdomen of the dog.

Sending lots of hugs and healing thoughts!

astrid

Our dog definitely prefers privacy especially from our other dogs. Only his back legs are affected but they were much worse initially than your dog's back legs. We stil express him but he can go on his own sometimes. It is fairly counterintuitive but it seems harder for him when he is extremely full. It can be a good idea to let the dog try to go on their own and then express them to make sure the bladder is as empty as possible. Bladder or even kidney infections are more of a risk if the bladder is not at least mostly emptied a few times a day.

I would check with the vet first but you may want consider setting up a wading pool for her to walk around the perimeter of. It would also depend on how many scrapes and cuts and such she has with regard to how soon it would be appropriate. The water supports her weight so she can concentrate on trying to use her muscles with no fear of falling. The place we took our dog for therapy had an underwater treadmill but they used a wading pool before they spent major bucks for the treadmill. Depending on how warm it is in your area right now she might enjoy some time laying in shallow warm water. I am sure that some of her muscles are very sore. If you do set up a wading pool try to keep the water warm. Use it at midday when the water is warm and if the sun won't warm it try putting a black tarp in the bottom.