Menu

Are death certificates public domain? And...

Most states in the US that I have run into (in researching family history) require you to be a descendant (or similar -- I have gotten them for great-grandparents' siblings). The level of proof varies.

If this is from a long time ago, sometimes state archives, etc. have this information or it may be online.

On the other hand, I don't think it is protected by privacy laws such as HIPAA protects during life. I had a relative die in embarrassing circumstances and the coroner discussed the cause of death with the newspapers.

I realize I'm giving you a US centric answer and the laws will vary in Canada.

I know almost all states have the manner of death listed (ie, natural causes, suicide, homicide) and some will have the cause of death. My MILs death certificate has natural causes listed as manner and metastatic ovarian cancer (or something along those lines) listed. Most certs (and i have seen quite a few because we need them at work to stop collections on accounts where people have died) I have seen are like this.

As for requesting the cert, you probably have to show cause as to why you need it if you are not a relative. Like a PP said, it probably also depends on how recent the death is. If it is more historical in nature, it probably will be easier to obtain than a death that is more recent.

They have been public knowledge in the three states I 've requested them from, and required only an $8 or so fee (this was years back). I even got my GM's autopsy (she died "out of care" and the county coroner had done the autopsy), which I translated to standard English for my mother, relieving her a sense of guilt in not getting out there sooner. She was going to die no matter what by that point.

Now then, when I tried to get my GF's medical records from 1918, The Cleveland Clinic said they'd need authorization from his executor. I asked if people lived that long in Cleveland, and could I move there and get the benefit this late in life. They were not amused.

In the US, I've been able to pay a few dollars and get copies from the local area, or look up the date and place of death from the Social Security Death Index.

In your case, the form will usually specify who may obtain it, if it's from a local govt agency. I saw this from BC as an example and they do restrict and it costs $50

http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/death/

In our state, Oregon, the person requesting the certificate checks a box on the request form stating if they want the cause of death listed or not. This makes sense, as some families choose not to share the cause of death under difficult circumstances (like overdoses or suicide) but need many copies of the certificate to give out to banks, DMV, etc.