Menu

Talk to me about developmental gymnastics

Dd was just invited to move to the developmental class from the recreational class. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this and/or team gymnastics. What was your experience (the good and the bad)? We are meeting with someone at the school as well, but I'm guessing she will focus on the positive side. :)

what kind of information are you looking for? dd joined team gymnastics at the beginning of summer. She is just level 2/3, so we are new at this. She goes 2x/week for 1.5 hours each. My niece just moved to level 4/5, she is at the gym 6 hrs/week (though some at that level are there more). From what I understand, every gym is very different. Our gym does not compete under level 5, they only have in-house "shows." The gym dd trains at is extremely competitive in the higher levels, but tend to keep it lighter and more "fun" for the lower levels. If it were not so, we would not be doing it. Dd loves it and I think it is great for her. Wonderful exercise, exposure to different kids, having to listen to someone other than mom. I am happy with it at this level, but am certainly in no rush to have her move up. There are 7 yo's at our gym that train 20+ hrs a week (level 7+) That is not for us right now. A lot of time, a lot of money, not much childhood outside school and gym. For some kids, that is great, others are burnt out by 10. We plan to keep it recreational as long as possible, making each choice to continue as she moves up... For us, it has been a positive experience, while I know other would not say the same...

Thanks so much for replying! I don't really know what to ask because I don't know what to expect. For right now, it just means she is switching to twice a week and has to start pointing her toes. :D But I'm sure there is more to it than that.

I know some people say gymnastics can cause an unhealthy body image in girls and others disagree. I don't know if the gyms have responded to this idea and changed or if this is still an issue (but maybe not until the teen years? I don't know).

I'm sure there are other issues I haven't thought of that might come up as we go forward. Injuries? I don't know.

That is a good point about burning out if they are pushed too hard too soon. I can't imagine 20 hours a week! I'm hoping they can keep it fun. Her current coach is really nice / funny, so that has made her fall in love with gymnastics. I'm not sure what her new coach will be like.

I know some people say gymnastics can cause an unhealthy body image in girls and others disagree. I don't know if the gyms have responded to this idea and changed or if this is still an issue (but maybe not until the teen years? I don't know).

I can't imagine 20 hours a week!

There are several moms of competitive gymnsts on the board, so I am sure that you will receive plenty of responses. I will just focus on these two. My daughter is a 13 yo Level 9 on track to compete in college, assuming she stays healthy. She has been competing since she was 7, at 3 different gyms, and not once, not one single time, has ANY coach said anything to promote an unhealthy body image. The girls on her teams are thin and less thin, and most are rather obviously muscular. They are all beautiful and strong, and there's not a waif in the bunch.

As for 20 hours a week, ha! It's like a frog in the boiling water. Your 7 year old isn't working out 20 hours a week, but by the time she's 13 or 14, you may think nothing of it. ;)

As for the team track, which is what it sounds like your daughter would be on, I suggest finding out more about what would happen once she is on team. At what level do they start competing (some gyms start at 2 and 3, while most wait until 4), how much do the levels cost (if this is a concern), how do the girls progress through the levels, etc. Then watch a team practice or, this time of year, a meet (the compulsory season runs through about late November in most states), and see how the gym's girls score. Plop down next to team parents from your gym and ask them about their experience with the program--gym moms love to talk about their gymnasts and will probably be quite forthcoming. You also can often tell a lot about a gym by reading their team handbook.

Best of luck with your decision.

Terri

My dd competes level 9 and has been in gymnastics since before she was 4. Obviously she loves it!

In our gym developmental simply means that they have progressed beyond the basic pre-school or early level classes and are ready for more class time and more focus. Then if a dc shows ability and desire they could be invited to try out for pre-teams and/or teams depending upon age and skill level.

I knew when my dd moved to developmental that she loved it - she couldn't wait to get to the gym and 1 twice a week was no where enough for her. She spends 21 hours a week now and doesn't bat an eye over it. It's just normal for her.

We've only been at two gyms and never has their been any indication of poor body image from the coaches. They have always encouraged the girls to eat correctly - healthy - lots of variety - enjoy the sweets but in healthy moderation - etc. At various times some of dd's teammates have had a little more weight as they've hit puberty - but no one has ever told them they needed to lose weight, etc. My dd hasn't had an issue with weight - but she is very tall for a gymnast - she's 5'8. But again no one has ever discouraged her - they've just commented about how pretty her lines are, etc.

As for burn out - our coaches are great at encouraging the girls to take some short breaks - to do sleep overs outside of competition season - go to the high school football games - etc. They really try to encourage balance - realizing that gymnastics is only one aspect of their life.

Injuries - sure as she got older and with some more difficult skills there have been some injuries --however, it really just depends. They really work with them hoping to not ever have those injuries and you could take 10 kids all doing the same skill over and over and never have a problem --then one does something a little off and twists and ankle, breaks a wrist, etc.

I've always told dd that we support her 100% in whatever she wants to do --as long as she's happy and enjoys herself.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I should say that I could see 20 hours a week for an older girl, but for a 7 year old it sounded like a lot. My dd is only 5, so we have a long way to go!

Thank you so much for the advice to ask about how the levels / competition / etc work in the future. I really don't know anything about gymnastics (or sports in general to be honest), so I feel a little lost about the whole thing. Just want to make sure we are getting into something positive. I love that she loves gymnastics. It is great to see her with a passion that she loves doing. :D

So far we've had a great experience on team, and are looking forward to this season's first meet next week. Our daughter LOVES it, and if she didn't we'd be out of there. It's a huge time/money commitment if the child isn't committed and having fun.

I've never heard anyone in our gym talk about body image....which is a good thing since my husband sells ice cream to the gym for snacks :D

Every gym is different. Just be aware that, in general, the more your daughter progresses, the bigger the time and money commitment. Also, the longer she's in the harder it will be to take her out if/when the time comes. My daughter is competing level 4, and is there 12 hours a week (3 of those hours are for the TOPS program which is a different deal.)

Honestly, I don't know what life would be like without it. The gym people are almost like family since we've been there for 4 years.

Thanks so much for replying! I don't really know what to ask because I don't know what to expect. For right now, it just means she is switching to twice a week and has to start pointing her toes. :D But I'm sure there is more to it than that.

I'm sure there are other issues I haven't thought of that might come up as we go forward. Injuries? I don't know.

That is a good point about burning out if they are pushed too hard too soon. I can't imagine 20 hours a week! I'm hoping they can keep it fun. Her current coach is really nice / funny, so that has made her fall in love with gymnastics. I'm not sure what her new coach will be like.

If she continues and moves on up, injuries are not a question of "will she" but when. It will happen. She will, most likely, recover just fine.

What you need to know: It is expensive (insanely). She is going to cry. She will love it and hate it. Whenever possible, let the coach be the coach. Don't interfere (within reason of course/this is a fine line/most parents try to be too involved). Do your very best to stay out of gym drama. (This will only make sense later).

Body image wise, it isn't a tremendous problem. The one real body problem that I have seen come up over and over is size. I'm talking too tall. I know so many girls who have been outstanding gymnasts as kids. As they come into their adult bodies, they are simply too tall and have to change sports. It is temporarily devastating to them. If they don't leave gymnastics, their ranking falls tremendously from where they were. That is also extremely difficult for them to handle. One is currently a world class diver. Several have switched to swimming where they are excelling. The good thing is that gymnastics is such an all around event with excellent training that the kids can usually have their choice of sports to move into with success. That feeling gymnastics gives you, unfortunately, isn't quite the same in any of them.

Body image is going to vary from gym to gym. We do not seem to have any issues at our gym with body image... I say that because although we have 15 plus girls and 7 boys training 15 plus hours a week, there is a large variety of body types. I have talked with the gym owners and they are very careful not to talk to the girls about weight, size... etc. They talk about training, core muscles, muscle groups, determination, focus etc.

My DD is 8, she did not want to compete in gymnastics was already doing competitive cheer at the same gym. She kept doing rec gymnastics because she enjoyed the classes and saw the value it added to cheer. Nearly a year ago she was invited onto pre-team. I have to say, she was honored, but BOY did we see the difference in training. She had not been told to point her toes or have her arms up and hands pretty. She is doing well with her class, but frustrated that "no one" else is continuously being told "keep your hands up".

My suggestion is to let her move to developmental. Watch her, if she stops LOVING class, than bring her back to recreational. It could be that she, like many others, will thrive on the directed work on her body placement.

I personally, think as long as these children are enjoying their sport, not hating going to practices, but actually enjoying it and they have a healthy outlook on themselves, then this is a good thing.

I have been told and have found it true, "if she likes it and then wants to quit, have her give it a month. Often this is over a skill that is hard to get and it is aggravating not getting it" I have had this happen several times in the last 4 years with my son and twice in the last year with my daughter. For both children at the end of the month, they do not want to quit at all.