Menu

Friend needs help - HS 16 yo grandson

I don't know details, and they don't matter. My dear friend in Kansas wrote that her 16 yo grandson has come to live with her and she will be homeschooling him. He only has two credits and she has no idea where to start.

Can you help her?

What would you recommend?

Her husband has health challenges, she just lost her own mother, and she owns/runs a (gently used) clothing store.

She is such a good person with so much on her plate.

Please send suggestions. I'll pass them along and get her involved with the hive.

THANKS!!

I'd think about learning disabilities, first, to allow her to see what she's working with. I personally find SOTW 1-4 to be a great, easy, foundation. I would have him test for where to place in math, and barring learning issues, probably go with Teaching Textbooks if that would work. I'd try to see if he is motivated; if he has interests.... If he's 16 with two credits, he has some serious "make-up" work to do. I'd also look into the community colleges to see if there's anything for him in finishing to "complete his education".... Good luck!! Huge project!! :)

I agree about the learning challenges-does he only have 2 credits because of academic problems, behavioral problems, emotional, etc? It's hard to know where to start if you don't know why he is so behind.

First, your friend needs to look at the local public school and get a feel for what they require for graduation. Is he college bound? tech school? Future plans will make a huge difference in how she approaches his education. If he wants to go to college, look at the ones he is interested in and see what they require.

Teaching Textbooks would probably be a great math for him since he can do it himself. The virtualhomeschoolgroup has online, free, at-your-own pace Apologia sciences. She may be able to get him into some other classes in the spring, but they fill so quickly.

I think the Notgrass history books are pretty open and go, and they include literature.

At this point he doesn't have to have grammar and spelling unless he needs remedial help in those areas. For writing, my son is enjoying KWI from Bravewriter online classes. It is expensive (about $230 for a 9 week class) but worth it so I don't have to battle him in this area. Her classes are in 9 week sessions, so he could easily take at least 3 in a school year. She has Kid's Write Basic, if he needs remedial help; Kid's Write Intermediate (this is the one my 15ds is taking); an essay class, and others I can't remember.

He will need foreign language to graduate. Is there a homeschool coop or anything nearby where she might be able to farm this out? I know a lot of people use Rosetta Stone, but it is expensive. She will probably want to either hire someone via a homeschool group or tutor, or use a dvd or online/cdrom program. BBC has some cool resources. My two oldest are really loving this, Mi Vida Loca. Our library system also has a free online foreign language program, Mango, and I know some states have Rosetta Stone free.

It may be easier for him to work on the basics during the school year and try to get some electives in during the summer. It just depends on his abilities/attitudes/motivation.

He might also be a good candidate for College Plus, if he is motivated to catch up. And if there is a local community college or 2-year college, he may be able to go there. Each semester would equal a year of high school class-so he could get Biology and Chemistry done in one year. But if he has learning disabilities that will probably not work.

Has she investigated school-in-a-box programs? I think I might look into American School, which has a reputation for getting the job done efficiently. I think if I were suddenly homeschooling an older teen that wasn't my own son or daughter and who had only a few credits, outside accreditation, efficiency, and independence would be my top priorities. Just a thought...

What a wonderful thing she is doing for her grandson. Blessings to her.

I'll just say that I started homeschooling with a dd who had just failed 9th grade. I think she got 2 credits in 9th for band & French, and earned one in summer school filling out science worksheets. I know your friend's pain and her challenges ahead. Different kids, but similar situation for the adults -- but it was worth it. I homeschooled my dd up through 13th grade and never did graduate her (still would at age 24 if she'd do a bit more), but I'm still very glad I homeschooled her. I educated her in things that were very important to me, I taught her how to learn and how to accomplish her goals should she ever want to, and I worked on some character things over those years.

I know your friend's first goal is going to be to graduate her grandson. That was certainly my goal, too. But I just wanted to say that whatever happens, it's still worth spending the time with him, knowing you gave your all, and having her grandson know that, too.

Julie

I answered on the other board also, but I will chime in again here.:001_smile:

I would recommend American School. They should accept his two credits and then he would complete the rest of their requirements. They offer a general and a college prep option. From what some of the ladies here have said, it often takes less that four full years to complete if the student works at his courses regularly.

We have not used American School so far, but are considering it for high school in a year or two.

They are also reasonably priced and the price includes all materials as well as the services and transcript/diploma.

Another positive thing about this scenario would be that the grandma would not have to worry about wading through curriculum options.

You've all been so helpful. Thank you and blessings!

I found out from GM that, "He has add and bipolar. He was placed in our home becuz he was cutting himself - badly! Has been in counselin for 6 mo. not harming himself anymore but lies to us ALOT and is too lazy for the class. tries to drink and smoke. The principal said he was wasting his own time and the schools. Never gonna graduate. he put out no effort. thinking online classes. i can get him back on track when he strays."

I appreciate so much you being open and encouraging and suggesting options for her. I'll pass these along.

If you have more ideas, keep them coming ladies.

I think it is terrific that your friend is providing her grandson with a stable home environment and an opportunity for recovery, because that is what it is about, recovery. In this case, it is not about what curriculum is best. This lost young man needs space and time to recover, heal, and develop new coping skills. First and foremost, he needs a good counselor, who respects him as a person, and the appropriate medications. Grandma needs to lose all judgmental words like "lazy," because her grandson isn't firing on enough cylinders to deserve those labels.

I would tell her to find a sympathetic counselor at his previous high school who can help her lay out the credits needed for him to eventually graduate. I would then pick no more than two courses that provide credits through an organization that his local high school will accept. I would even go so far as to let him pick courses of interest, perhaps history or technology, as long as they are moving along the path. He has time to acquire the English and math credits. Give him something that pulls his brain and his heart back into learning. I would avoid having the majority of the work being done online. His brain is already overwhelmed. If Grandma can't provide him with some scintillating conversations on those topics, she needs to find someone who can.

This boy can fill the extra hours with getting some solid sleep, plenty of aerobic exercise, and avoiding junk foods. This will do almost as much as medication. This is where Grandma needs to put her focus, not on which curriculum is better. She also needs to make sure he still sees friends even if it is in a somewhat supervised situation. Finally, she will have to have the patience of a saint. It will be two steps forward and one back for a long time. My heart goes out to both of them in this very painful and awkward time. You are a good friend for trying to help.:grouphug:

Wow. More power to her for not giving up on him. The school system just isn't the able to provide what that child needs. I agree with Lisa. I have heard that American School encourages students to do only a few courses at a time rather than tackle a whole bunch at once, so I think I might still look into that. Bipolar - that is so hard. Things that other teens shouldn't do but do anyway and somehow manage to survive and grow past can be lethal for a bipolar teen. That means extra monitoring and extra good counceling and lots of support and encouragement for both the child and the grandparent. She is saving a life. The education piece is totally totally secondary.

Nan

When G'ma goes over to the local high school, inquire about alternative high school. Here it is night high school, the credit load is reduced, and there is a lot of counseling.

I think that's a good thing to look into. But I'd visit any alternative school before I mentioned it to the gs. Some of them manage to get the kids going toward something, and others seem to be places for kids to share drinking stories & the like. Ideally, I think teaching and training it at home will help him the most, but of course the grandma can only do what she can do.

You might look into the materials the alternative schools are using, though.

Julie

I think that's a good thing to look into. But I'd visit any alternative school before I mentioned it to the gs. Some of them manage to get the kids going toward something, and others seem to be places for kids to share drinking stories & the like. Ideally, I think teaching and training it at home will help him the most, but of course the grandma can only do what she can do.

You might look into the materials the alternative schools are using, though.

Julie

This is a very good caution. Our alternative school is where they group all the "at-risk" kids. The outcome is seldom positive. Our school counselor was honest with us about the homebound program. It's just a load of worksheets designed to move a kid through. He is so young, I would hate to rule out providing him with a real education.

Good counseling before anything else is so critical. Bipolar can be difficult to manage and a male teen that cuts is really a social outcast when other guys find out. My heart is so heavy for this family.

Another idea - Many schools have some type of work release program where they get credit for working a regular, part-time job. Depending on the state homeschool regs, this might be something she could do as well. She could also pair it with a career exploration course.