Menu

CLE language arts users.....

sweetsouthern

ok. someone tell me this is normal pretty please. dd is starting 7th grade, but we switched curriculums this year and based on the diagnostic test, she placed in 4th grade language arts. shes had some grammar previously, but with CLE shes struggling with diagramming and some of the formats for adjectives and adverbs and such.

will it get better?? lol! will she ever get caught up?? we seem to be moving through it so slow and i just hate her being this behind!!

thanks!:grouphug:

My older DD is in 5th and is using CLE LA 5. She started last year in CLE LA 4 and tested right into her grade level, but we had used FLL previously so she was already used to diagramming, etc.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I do want to mention that CLE does have some separate books that address diagramming directly. So, depending on what other issues you feel that she needs work on, I do think that you could do the diagramming book and beef up some of those other areas to get her closer to grade level (not sure how close though). Hopefully some more experienced CLE users will answer (as this is only our second year).

My DD is in 7th and naturally wonderful at LA- i began CLE this year. I liked that spelling, grammer, handwriting etc were all together. I did not bother with the "testing" and ordered grade 7. Well. only 2 weeks into it i am ready to just cross out the diagramming and keep everything else!! I LOVE so much about it and she is on level with everything else, but the darn diagramming!! She's in 7th grade and diagramming sentances with 18 words in them- and for one day!!!!! then tomorrow she's diagramming another type of crazy sentance completely!! I am really at a loss here and do not know what i will do. If i go to a lower grade, the other parts- ie. spelling etc will be way too easy. So, if 7th is any indecator- there is always a lot of diagramming. That being said- as nuts as it is now... maybe after a month or so, she'll get it down and never need another stitch of grammer again! If i could do it over i would have started the program earlier with her. My boys (9) got the grade 3 la from CLE this year and that lasted about 1 week- too much for them, even at 9. I just feel like everything else out there is sooo light on grammer ( LLATL, or Queens which we used and loved- i just felt like it was time to 'put the hammer', down so to speak- and get my 7th grader doing something a little more challenging). I have found nothing else like CLE - BUMMER! Let me know if you find one!!

Feeling Your Pain,

Dawn

I have my high schooler doing CLE Grammar 500 series. He has always detested grammar. He hates diagramming. He is just downright horrible at memorizing what the parts of speech are, yet he knows how to write and spell rather well.

I just have him do the grammar sections and we skip penmanship and spelling. We will be doing another diagnostic test before deciding on the 600 or 700 level. Last year we started the 9th grade with Rod and Staff 7 and I thought he was going to rip his hair out. We switched to CLE half way through the year. He is making mostly A's on all the CLE material.

I thought that CLE had writing in the LA program...

Somebody help before I order. Lol. I'm set to order their math, la, and reading.

Just keep going until at least Cle la grade 6 and make sure you use a grade appropriate writing program. Most public schools never get to the grammar in cle la 6