Menu

Explode the code online: Anyone like it?

warriormom

He liked it at first but as he "leveled up" the games were too boring and repetive. He wasn't really learning much even though his scores were high. And he was often frustrated by the program not working correctly or he made a typo. Sometimes he didn't know why they gave him the score they did. I watched and he was moving really fast and accurate but it still gave him a low score.

I wasn't using this as our only means of phonics instruction. But I didn't even find it useful as a supplement. And I am not aware of anything that is an alternative.

The best alternative is the ETC books or use AAS. Save yourself the headache of the online program.

Right now he is doing A Beka phonics kindergarten at school. I just thought it might be a good supplement. We are on the free trial of Reading Eggs and he is flying through it (Lesson 80 on day 2). He is at a 2nd grade reading level. I would love to help him strengthen his phononemes, diphthongs and help increase fluency.

He liked it at first but as he "leveled up" the games were too boring and repetive. He wasn't really learning much even though his scores were high. And he was often frustrated by the program not working correctly or he made a typo. Sometimes he didn't know why they gave him the score they did. I watched and he was moving really fast and accurate but it still gave him a low score.

:iagree: My daughter flew through Reading Eggs last year and I thought this would pick up where RE left off... I have not been very happy with it. Today she asked me if we could drop it altogether. I had hoped it would be a fun addition to our reading program, so I'm interested to see what others suggest in place of ETC online.

DS 7 is doing Headsprout and he LOVES it. He does it in addition to other phonics work. I wouldn't use it alone as I think it encourage sight reading, but it makes for a fun supplement.

I was going to go with ETC online until a friend recommended Headsprout.