Menu

KISS grammar----stupid question (sorry!)

Poke Salad Annie

I've decided to use a combo of Maxwell's grammar and KISS grammar for this year. Quite awhile back, I printed the Second Grade Workbook to use for this study. This morning I've been looking over the website, and it appears there are so many changes. Can you help explain these to me?

Do I understand that the Second Grade Workbook is the basic text, and each grade's workbook is an extension of this? I guess I'm saying that I'm wondering if we need to keep working through the Second Grade Workbook, then use exercises to expound upon the concepts as needed for the other grades? I'm a little :confused:.

I asked on the mailing list last winter, and the second grade book is a gentler / slower introduction. The only thing the 3rd grade, level 1 book has that the 2nd grade doesn't is the end sections on vocabulary & logic (and punctuation?).

No idea if that's what you need. I'm having my 2nd grader do the grade 2, level 1 book; followed by the punctuation, vocabulary and logic sections of the grade 3, level 1 book ONLY; then he can start the level 2 book. My understanding is the student needs to complete each level, in whatever grade book is most appropriate.

FWIW, My 4th grader is doing all of the grade 3 level 1 book, and I like the 2nd grade book better. Helping verbs are killing me.... (I'm not a grammar expert.)

Thanks for your help. That makes more sense to me. I'm glad to know about the vocab exercises, so I'll print those and add them into our lessons. We're getting quite the workout from the original Second Grade Workbook, so we'll keep working with that.

The KISS program looks very similar to Shurley grammar. I remember reading a blog post by someone here who used Shurley, and I was impressed that their child/children could understand functions of words so easily. That's what I'm working towards in using KISS for our grammar program. I am loving it so far.

One has to work through the different levels of KISS, that is from Level 1 to Level 4...not through the Grades. Each Level of KISS has several Grade level books. So whether your child is in Grade 2 or Grade 6 he/she would still need to go through all four levels of KISS Grammar, but within the KISS level, one can choose the grade level book one is comfortable with.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm finding the site a little confusing too. I'm not happy with anything I've found so far for my younger dd, so I thought I would give this another look. I'm willing to print what I need, but I'm not sure what I need. I would love to do everything we need for a 3rd grader. Does anyone know what I need to print?

Thanks!

I'm finding the site a little confusing too. I'm not happy with anything I've found so far for my younger dd, so I thought I would give this another look. I'm willing to print what I need, but I'm not sure what I need. I would love to do everything we need for a 3rd grader. Does anyone know what I need to print?

Thanks!

You will need to start with KISS Level 1. I see that there are both the 2nd Grade and 3rd Grade books and Answer Keys available for this level. You can print either one of the 2 depending on your comfort level.

Once you are through with KISS level 1, you can print out the Grade 3 KISS Level 2 workbook and Answer Keys.

You need to work through all 4 levels of KISS and for each level you can choose the workbook closest to the grade level of the child.