Menu

History cycle dilemma

dalynnrmc

We have taken our sweet time, three years in fact, to get through ancient history. My kiddo now KNOWS this stuff like the back of his hand, and honestly if it took 3 years to get through it and we enjoyed it TREMENDOUSLY and he really does KNOW this stuff including and especially the Biblical portions of it, I'm okay with that.

But, now what?

We've been using MOH, which we love. LOVE LOVE. Also using the language arts put out by Bright Ideas to go with it; also LOVE LOVE. But, if we continue through the rotations of MOH, my now-12yo won't get ANY American history until his sophomore year. :eek: And then if he has 2 years of it, that leaves his senior year for government or something I guess, but he only gets the full cycle ONCE.

So, I'm considering pausing from the cycle - remembering we've done this for 3 years now - and doing a year or two of American history NOW. If we take 2 years (I hope and plan to use AAH which I am under the impression follows a 2-year plan), then that leaves the 4 years of high school to run through the entire sequence in any tweake-able form I desire.

It also means I can include my 2nd and 3rd graders. We can do American history together, but I'm under the impression that the middle ages aren't a great topic sensitivity-wise for that age group. Plus, they haven't had ancients yet so that just doesn't make sense to me to start them in the second year of the cycle. Including them and doing history all together means one less thing I need to do separately. I have year-old twins in addition to these three school aged kids, so every little thing we can do together is beneficial.

So, I'm leaning towards the American history. But, I am not sure if Illuminations (the lang. arts program) leans towards doing it out of order like that, and we really like following that. And, I actually already have MOH v2 in-hand, but would have to purchase an American history book. (Like I said, probably will use AAH since we're such fans of Bright Ideas.) Either way, I'll need to obtain resources, so that will probably cost me about the same either way. At this point in time, I'll probably be doing that monthly at least until tax return in the spring.

Does going with American history make sense? OR should I go with the cycle since it's in order and we already have what we need to get started? I know I can supplement MOH2 with American history on the side, but our life is so full right now and we have problems with just doing the basic subjects that I'm not sure adding something else a realistic possibility.

What would you do??? HELP! TIA!

I'm not super familiar with the programs you are using, so I may be missing something. Your son is 10, no? So why can't you do the rest of the history cycle at normal pace (1 period per school year= 3 years)? He would be finished by the time he is 13, which gives plenty of time for another 4 year cycle.

I'm not super familiar with the programs you are using, so I may be missing something. Your son is 10, no? So why can't you do the rest of the history cycle at normal pace (1 period per school year= 3 years)? He would be finished by the time he is 13, which gives plenty of time for another 4 year cycle.

Sorry, my son is 12 and starting 7th grade (ish). My siggy is terribly outdated! We've been without internet for a year and a half and just reconnected a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time I've peeked back in here. LOL I'll go change it!

MOH does 4 years, but the 4th book isn't out yet. It won't include much more than the highlights of American history as they polled and it seems most folks are doing a separate American history.

Illuminations works similar to Winter Promise or Sonlight; we use it mostly for the literature and study guides. :)

Thanks ladies!

I think as long as you've got a direction in mind and your child is learning things that will benefit him in his high school or college or adult life, then it's okay to stray from the WTM or your state's standards or any other plan. I think it's totally valid to study content in whatever order works for you.