Menu

Facebook profile interpretation needed:

If a person (female) lists herself as in a domestic partnership with another female but says she is interested in "men" what exactly does that mean?

The boys and I are having a little trouble interpreting this one. At first we just thought she was just rooming with another gal, but the little heart thingy in the "relationship status" makes us wonder

I find it quite common for teens to list themselves as "in a relationship with" or "married to" a good friend of the same (or sometimes opposite) gender. As far as I can tell it means nothing, and my guess is they're just sick of being single on FB. :) If she lists herself as interested in men, I would assume that correct unless I learned otherwise.

If it's a teenager, then she could just be talking about her best friend. Lots of the girls in our youth group do this. They set their "relationship" to their best friend at the time, just to be silly.

:iagree: If it's a young person, then I would probably assume the other young lady is her best friend. Lots of my dd's friends are "married" to each other or are "sisters."

:iagree: If it's a young person, then I would probably assume the other young lady is her best friend. Lots of my dd's friends are "married" to each other or are "sisters."

She is in her mid 20s. She is an older sister of a couple of my boys' friends. It's a family we have sort of lost track of when they quit the church we both attended. They have since moved out of town. We still have mutual friends which is how we came across it on facebook. It just struck us as odd to list both things.

Edited by CynthiaOK

She is in her mid 20s. She is an older sister of a couple of my boys' friends. It's a family we have sort of lost track of when they quit the church we both attended. They have since moved out of town. We still have mutual friends which is how we came across it on facebook. It just struck us as odd to list both things.

At that age, she could be immature and just being silly OR she could have a female roommate and be straight OR she's bisexual OR she's a lesbian and made a mistake on the "interested in" section.

If it's a teenager, then she could just be talking about her best friend. Lots of the girls in our youth group do this. They set their "relationship" to their best friend at the time, just to be silly.

:iagree: I've run into this a couple of times. Young people put some funny things on FB for their relationship status. It could be representative of some aspect of her sexuality, but it could just mean she and her friend think it's cute to have it down that they're together when there's actually not a romantic component to it.