Menu

Looking for a knitter for a Christmas gift

I would absolutely love to find someone to knit a 4th Doctor Who scarf like this one from Season 18. I have no idea of the cost of the recommended wool blend. And the length would have to be tailored down a bit as the original lenth was like 20 ft. But I would love to hear an estimate if at all possible. This would be the Piece de Resistance of her Christmas day. Please PM if you think you can help. I would be ever so grateful!

wow. that price definitely seems high. in your shoes, i would probably just make it myself with a knifty knitter (so easy, anyone can use it, literally). it won't be flat, but rather, it would be circular (i'd use the blue or pink one depending on the size you'd like). they do have flat knifty knitters, but the circular ones are even easier. it would be more of a resemblance than a duplicate of the dr. who scarf, but you would only pay for the cost of materials (which may still be a little high, but cheaper than the cost of etsy). if that doesn't sound like an option, could you check with ladies at a local church or some women in your homeschool group as well? they would be cheaper than etsy too.

good luck! i love the scarf!!:D

When you finish knitting a project, you wet it and "block" it out on towels. Blocking it allows you to straighten edges, tighten up areas, etc. I am assuming the seller means you can do this yourself to basically pull the scarf and make it longer.

I wish I could take it on for you, but I remember how long the Griffyndor scarves took me last year and I am drowning in baby shower and Christmas projects already!:)

Ooh, I didn't see those. The 'inspired' ones are less expensive. But what does unblocked mean? One says it is unblocked so you can set the length after washing it and block it then. ??

After knitting an item, you wet it, lie it flat in the shape you want, then pin it in place. It dries holding this shape. My sister and I pin to the ironing board. Can be tedious, depending on the item, but can also make a big difference in how nice it looks.

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/WillowCreekBoutique

This is my sister in law. She has been knitting since she was little, and made my family of 5 Harry Potter house scarves for Christmas last year that turned out beautifully. I have no idea what she would charge you or the cost of the wool, but I can vouche that she does great work.

Edited by Mallorie

That scarf is pretty basic, it's just that it takes a really long time to make and a lot of yarn. But if you want to make it, learning the basic stitches wouldn't be hard; try youtube for videos and ravelry.com for advice.

If you pay for it, you'll pay a lot because you're paying the knitter for her time.

That scarf is pretty basic, it's just that it takes a really long time to make and a lot of yarn. But if you want to make it, learning the basic stitches wouldn't be hard; try youtube for videos and ravelry.com for advice.

If you pay for it, you'll pay a lot because you're paying the knitter for her time.

:iagree: It's just done in garter stitch; that's super easy to do. I also recommend knittinghelp.com for videos.