Menu

MAPP assessment

We are in Illinois. Dd is in first grade and will be assessed using the MAP assessment. I am familiar with it at the high school level, but how does it work in elementary? Does it occur on the computer like in high school? What does it assess?

Edited by momsquared

I think if you go poking around on the NWEA site you might find something..try here:

http://www.nwea.org/support/article/975/sample-parent-letter-first-season

There are several links to explore on the bottom and on the main site also for MAP testing.

There are more here: http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/374410/File/MAP/Norms2008.pdf?sessionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3

Go to the contents page and look for first grade. :)

Edited by one*mom

I am in charge of MAP testing for grades k-9 at my school so I am happy to answer your questions.

I'll take you up on that!

Both of the questions are about the math section.

Is it true that the ceiling on the test is actually quite low, meaning that a kid in 9th grade only has two or three grade levels of material of headroom?

Also, I've heard that a bright kid can actually hit the ceiling by guessing. Is this true? I could see how this would be if the answer choices are clearly different from one another and there is no "none of the above" choice. A kid with good math sense could intuit many of the answers if this were the case.

Thanks!

Is it true that the ceiling on the test is actually quite low, meaning that a kid in 9th grade only has two or three grade levels of material of headroom?

Also, I've heard that a bright kid can actually hit the ceiling by guessing. Is this true? I could see how this would be if the answer choices are clearly different from one another and there is no "none of the above" choice. A kid with good math sense could intuit many of the answers if this were the case.

Thanks!

In case you don't already have this, you might like to look at the conversion chart for RIT score to percentile rank. My old NWEA link isn't working, but I found it elsewhere in my favorites from some random location - http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/374410/File/MAP/Norms2008.pdf?sessionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3 - math starts on page 140 (there are separate charts for beginning, middle and end of year). I was just thinking that looking at the RIT score chart might tell you something about hitting ceilings.

Two of my kids are taking the MAP at school this coming week, though based on prior experience, I doubt we find out scores until conference time (two more months; unless perhaps I pester the teachers :D).

Thanks!

It has norms up to 11th grade for math.

As far as guessing is concerned... I suppose they would have to be a really good and really consistently good guesser. The test adapts to each child. So it gives them an age-appropriate question and if they get it right then it gives them something slightly more difficult and so on until the child hits a wall. Then it backs down in difficulty until it finds your child's range.

We have been using them twice a year for three years and find them to be an accurate assessment of our students and their instructional readiness levels. I think they are far better than the ITBS or the MEAP.