Menu

Has anyone had NovaSure done?

Had it done earlier this year. It was easy. I still cycle, but I cycle normally (as opposed to cycles so heavy I couldn't leave the house and suffered from iron deficiency anemia). I have heard many say their cycles stopped altogether.

You have to be done with childbearing to be a candidate for the procedure. It's been discussed here many times, you might get some good info by doing a forum search for "ablation."

Has your doctor recommended it?

No I found it online - when I was doing a search for dealing with a heavy menstrual cycle. I had my tubes tied after my last pregnancy, so that wouldn't be a problem. I have always had an extreme amount of pain with my periods, but the bleeding was never heavy. Now, after giving birth to my twins, my periods are so painful that I pass out and bleed VERY heavy. My periods are always different - I don't have 28 day cycles. I skip months at a time, then suddenly have a period that will last for 2-3 weeks, and is VERY heavy for the 1st week.

My main concern was if anyone had any problems with having this done. It seems like it would be a simple procedure.

I think I am going to talk to my doctor about it - I hope insurance will cover it :)

If your insurance company is like mine, they will certainly ask for a lot of info from your doctor to be certain it's medically necessary. Apparently (from what the hospital billing rep told me), it is a popular procedure simply for the convenience aspect of never having another period. So at first, insurance companies were paying for a lot of procedures that were medically unnecessary. Now I guess they ask a lot more questions before agreeing to cover it.

Sounds like you are a worthy candidate, though!

Sounds similar to what I had done, it was called a Thermal Ablation. It didn't stop my periods, but for the first 5 years I only bled 2 days and so little I didn't need anything. The last year or so I have started to be a bit heavier. 4 days and I use as many as 2 tampons. Compared to 7 days and a whole box before the procedure, I'm very happy. I don't know if the NovaSure is different, but I've had nothing to complain about.

I had it done several years ago. My gyn recommended it because I was having frequent heavy periods and nearly continuous spotting in between.

It was one of the best things I've ever done. In the first few months I had a little spotting around the time I would have had a period, but no more since then.

I live with two of my adult daughters, and I still have hormonal fluctuations. But the periods have been gone for years. I'm thankful because I literally couldn't leave home a couple of days a month.

If your insurance company is like mine, they will certainly ask for a lot of info from your doctor to be certain it's medically necessary. Apparently (from what the hospital billing rep told me), it is a popular procedure simply for the convenience aspect of never having another period. So at first, insurance companies were paying for a lot of procedures that were medically unnecessary. Now I guess they ask a lot more questions before agreeing to cover it.

Sounds like you are a worthy candidate, though!

Yes. My insurance covered it. I was anemic and my doctor was happy to provide everything necessary to convince the powers that be.

not sure if mine was that but I had an ablation done like 5+ yrs ago (I think).....have always had heavy periods and love it---even better than when I had IUD and the IUD really eased my periods--now I maybe have a period 2-3 days..slight cramping...had great results......used to have to use the overnights pads all the time now I can get by with long liners.....insurance covered mine fully---had a tubal done at the same time and the only issues I had with it was I had a little more PAIN after the surgery than "usual" and had to stay in the hospital for like 23 hours instead of getting to go home a few hours after the procedure.......