Menu

Subtraction struggles

kandty

I noticed my second grader counting on his fingers for subtraction the past few weeks, so this week we are reviewing subtraction. I think he understands the concept, but yet doesn't understand how to get the answer or can't remember. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help him.

memorization, especially at his age, can be very context sensitive....

We noticed, for example, that out kids at one point did pretty well with their math-facts flash cards when read by me but give them a paper and pencil and they had trouble recalling the facts. <shrug>

I suggest a variety of practice methods...cards, paper and pencil, showing them the cards vs reading it to them, games, etc. It takes longer than you'd think to achieve consistent rapid recall.

If he gets the concept and is just struggling with memorizing the facts.. try https://www.xtramath.org/ .. it is a quick review every day and I've been using it with my dd to help her memorize the facts. She likes it a lot better than flashcards.

I just wanted to thank you for this recommendation! I love how it is self limited and has verbal / instructions! I just had the oldest 2 boys try it and I'm :D.

To the OP: I'm having DS9 break from MEP to do MM Addtion/Subtraction 2 as well as Multiplication. I think just focusing on one area for a few weeks each will help his recall. (His addition & subtraction has improved, and unlike MEP, MM is very explicit.) MM also has mental strategies as well, which he needs to have explained to him. (My eldest is very literal and concrete/absolute.)

You might also try having him use a number line for subtraction. I'm having a similar issue with both my second-grade boys and the number line has been useful. Understanding subtraction as both "take-away" and as "the difference" seems to be helping. Last lesson I compared the number line to houses on a very long street. All the numbers are in a place in relation to somewhere else. I would then give them a number and we would work out directions to that number from somewhere else on the line. So house number 5 is four houses up from number 1 and three houses down from number 8. We had a good bit of fun with this writing directions (instead of just adding and subtracting).