Menu

Is there anyone here using Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology

I am trying to work out a schedule for the year. We unexpectedly have my 6yo nephew living with us for a while. He has been through a lot and needs a lot of attention. We have a 2yo living with us as well. I'm having a hard time finding time to figure out some of our schedules for the year. I have a senoir and a 10th grader this year and I think I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I can work out this book alone, but he is also going to use Body by Design, The DK Human Body Book and DVD and an anatomy coloring book. Does anyone

already have a schedule for combining these and wouldn't mind sharing? Are you going to do all of the Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology? It seems like a lot and was also wondering if this was going to be too much. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Many many thanks in advance,

Nicole

We are using this book along with the Princeton Review Anatomy coloring book. I'm afraid I'm not much help since I am making plans barely a week ahead for each chapter. Do you have the workbook for the book? We are using it to supplement. I don't know how much we will cover but I THINK we should be able to cover the entire book. My dd is in the 11th gr. She is enjoying this study so much more than the Biology course she took last year. YEAY

We are using this book along with the Princeton Review Anatomy coloring book. I'm afraid I'm not much help since I am making plans barely a week ahead for each chapter. Do you have the workbook for the book? We are using it to supplement. I don't know how much we will cover but I THINK we should be able to cover the entire book. My dd is in the 11th gr. She is enjoying this study so much more than the Biology course she took last year. YEAY

I only used the book/workbook/TC lectures/coloring book. I don't know the other resources and our schedule was handwritten in a lesson planner now in the attic.

I can share that we finished the first 3 completely. She only used the coloring for the corresponding sections which was probably only about 1/5 of the book.

Thank-you all for taking the time to reply! I see it must be doable to work thru the whole text this year. I do have the workbook and love how it is written out, but it does seem like so much in each chapter. Maybe I will supplement with it as well. I'll have to think about that. I'm not sure how much he should learn if he is wanting to go in a medical field. I did spend some time yesterday with the books during my nephews naptimes and I think it will be easy enough to plan out the main text and try to supplement as we go with the others as neccessary. Lagirl, I'm happy to see your dd is enjoying it, my ds is 15 and is excited about science this year! What do you all think about the BODIES exhibit? Maybe that should be a different post......But, I don't know if I could stomach it and I think as tough as my ds can be...he may be able to only take so much! Ofcourse, that is my thought. He may say different.LOL

Thank-you again! Nicole

jibaker, I just checked out the website you listed. It is great! I love some of her ideas to include with Anatomy. And I think her schedule will be helpful if I tweek it a bit as you are doing. I love the free printables as well. Thanks a bunch! Nicole

I'm glad you can use the information. I am also coordinating Nutrition 101: Chose Life with the A&P textbook.

WOW! You were up late last night. I wanted and needed to be up, but I was just way too tired. I'll look into Nutrition 101. I was thinking about something along those lines.... nutrition/health. Ds is into sports and meds and maybe fitness, health, nutrition would be a good add in or elective type course. Hmmm... more to think about.

Thanks so much, Jennifer for your thoughts!

Nicole

WOW! You were up late last night. I wanted and needed to be up, but I was just way too tired. I'll look into Nutrition 101. I was thinking about something along those lines.... nutrition/health. Ds is into sports and meds and maybe fitness, health, nutrition would be a good add in or elective type course. Hmmm... more to think about.

Thanks so much, Jennifer for your thoughts!

Nicole

It's the only time I have to be by myself to think, plan, and study, lol!!! I am in love with Nutrition 101 and it will fit in perfectly - he will learn about and cook nutritious food and learn the benefits of exercise. I am also going to have ds complete babysitting class with CPR & First Aid through the American Red Cross.

I only used the book/workbook/TC lectures/coloring book. I don't know the other resources and our schedule was handwritten in a lesson planner now in the attic.

I can share that we finished the first 3 completely. She only used the coloring for the corresponding sections which was probably only about 1/5 of the book.

Which TC lecture set did you use? Was it this one?

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=160

Did you do any lab work?

Heather

What do you all think about the BODIES exhibit? Maybe that should be a different post......But, I don't know if I could stomach it and I think as tough as my ds can be...he may be able to only take so much! Ofcourse, that is my thought. He may say different.LOL

Thank-you again! Nicole

The BODIES exhibit is fantastic. We all went - even my youngest who was 7 at the time. It isn't gross at all. There is one section with fetuses in jars but they warn you and give you a way to walk around and not see that. That was by far the most disturbing. The rest was just fascinating.

Heather

What do you all think about the BODIES exhibit?

I have a big ethical problem with the Bodies exhibit because of the origin of the bodies. The company obtained the bodies from the Chinese police; these are "unclaimed" bodies. They may be the bodies of prisoners. They may have been political prisoners. They may have been tortured. Or executed.

Who knows.

Most definitely, the humans who are displayed did not consent to being exhibited.

Between this A&P course and Art Appreciation there is a LOT of a la' naturel study this year. You've definitely gotta be comfortable with the body to make it through these courses. These are both somewhat "R" rated courses, better suited for home study than a classroom setting, IMO.

We just blush, giggle, and move on. It helps to keep a sense of humor as we study.