Menu

Laundry Vent

OK, I've been making our laundry detergent for a year, maybe 2 by now.

So, its nothing new.

Could someone *please* explain to me, then, why my family seems to have a mental block when it comes to refilling the jugs?

I went down to throw in a load of wash, and discovered that ALL 3 jugs were empty...and, instead of refilling them (which would mean an ardous trek up the stairs, since we don't have a laundry sink), chose to use up all the powdered OxyClean that I add to the batch of detergent to give it a boost. :glare:

I mean, seriously?

I use a slightly different version of the Duggar recipe.

Grate 1 bar of Sunlight soap (I've used Ivory before), add 2 cups of water, and cook on the stove til all the soap is melted.

Put that in a 5 gallon pail.

I then add 1 cup of Borax, 2 cups of Arm and Hammer, and half cup of Oxyclean. Fill pail with hot water, stirring as I add.

I stir through the day.

Then when filling jugs, stir the soap to break up any gel/lumps. Then its half soap, then topped up with hot water, and shake. Shake before each use.

I do find that using liquid OxyClean doesn't cause as much suds/foam in the pail, so prefer to use that.

I use a slightly different version of the Duggar recipe.

Grate 1 bar of Sunlight soap (I've used Ivory before), add 2 cups of water, and cook on the stove til all the soap is melted.

Put that in a 5 gallon pail.

I then add 1 cup of Borax, 2 cups of Arm and Hammer, and half cup of Oxyclean. Fill pail with hot water, stirring as I add.

I stir through the day.

Then when filling jugs, stir the soap to break up any gel/lumps. Then its half soap, then topped up with hot water, and shake. Shake before each use.

I do find that using liquid OxyClean doesn't cause as much suds/foam in the pail, so prefer to use that.

What size are the jugs?

thanks for the recipe, Imp! I appreciate it. laundry soap is crazy expensive here (you would not believe me if I told you) AND terribly ineffective, so maybe I can save $ by making my own.

Will print the recipe and see if I can find the raw ingredients here (or local equivalents...)