Menu

MCP Math - user opinions please...

I use my TM for the warm up exercises and the mixed practice up until 4th grade But once my oldest got into 5th and 6th, I just used it as an answer key.

My last little one will start MCP K this fall. My oldest has just finished level F. And we have used both the older version and the 2005 version.

Honestly, Yoiuy don't really need the TM for the K level. All the directions for the page are printed on the page. The TM just has extra activities, mental math, and teaching ideas.

Differences between the old version and 2005 version:

The new versions are "cleaner." Some of the extra artwork has been removed and there is more white space.

They have also added the "It's Algebra" sections to help build algebraic thinking. (except in the K book. I just checked. No algebra in there. :D )

I used the old version with my oldest through 4th grade but I have switched completely over to the new version. I really like the look better than the old. But there isn't any change in the method or the type of problems.

I have some of the older TM's if you'd like me to doa side by side comparison.

Well, I really love this program. I think it is under used.

I like the fact that it is a mastery program and that for older children, it can be self-teaching.

I haven't found any "holes" in the learning. The "silly math" stuff like front end estimation and stem and leaf plots are covered with only the amount of practice it needs. (one lesson each) So my sons have seen it.

I do have to admit that I do not like the word problem lesson for each chapter. (the page with 12-15 word problems.)

But the word problems from each lesson page are very good. I do supplement with a Singapore math workbook but that is only because I really like the idea of Singapore Math.

My oldest child just finished the series. I feel very confident in his math abilities. So much so that he will most likely skip pre-algebra and go into algebra. From what I can see, the Lial's BCM text that I bought is just a review of his Level F MCP math book.

It's a good math program that is inexpensive and easy to use. I know I always post on these threads. :blushing: But it's just so rare to see it discussed here.

I agree. I used this with my oldest, and it was the first math book he didn't cry when he saw ;)

My favorite math program is R&S, but I'll be using MCP and Miquon with my 4th grader next year. He LOVES Miquon (we obviously started it late), and he's discovering patterns and relationships with numbers that he wasn't getting with R&S. I think MCP will be a perfect complement to Miquon to keep him on grade level.

In an ideal world the teacher's manuals would be a great way to ensure your kids were getting a well rounded math program. They are a nice resource and have good supplements. Do we use them? Not much :blush:

We just seem to run out of time and the workbooks are so easy to open and go. I do think if my son wasn't "math minded" I might use them a lot more for the supplements.

I do think I might use them a bit more for 4th and higher grades just because there might be some things I need help explaining clearly. We'll be starting 4th this fall and I have the TMs. You can get them for about $10-$15 on the used boards so they aren't expensive.

We started with MCP math in 1st grade then switched for silly reasons to 2 other programs over the next 2 yrs. I felt really dumb when I came back to it recently thinking I had wasted my son's time switching when we had a good program in the first place (must stop reading these boards so much!!)

I also think it's under rated and is a solid program.

I'm started my DD on it and not switching this time ;)

I love MCP math. My ds is doing great with it. We've only used the 1994 version.

I do appreciate the TM and use it every day. I feel it's helping me be a better teacher and teaching me to think deeper, more clearly and faster on my feet.

I love the mental math warm-ups, the skill reviews and ideas for presenting the concepts/lessons. I sometimes use the enrichment ideas as well. I would have no idea how to teach math without the TM. It is not area of talent and we'll leave it at that! If you are experienced or particularly clever in math, you may not need the TM.

I highly recommend MCP math!

I just ordered MCP a few days ago and I'm really looking forward to getting it. I would like to administer math tests this year. How could I do that with MCP? Does the TM or the book include tests?

Oh yeah, both books have tests.

The Student book contains tests for each chapter. The tests have two parts. One is a review with open end questions. The second part is a multiple choice test with bubbles to fill in like a standardized test.

In the teacher's book there is an alternate test for each chapter. I use these if my son doesn't do well on the test. We review the material again and then take the alternate test to see if he has the material.

Does that make sense?

And the best part is that the tests are right there at the end of the chapter. You don't have to look for them in some other section or workbork.

The only negative is that there is just not enough white space for scratch work, especially for the older kids. My older two use a notebook for their scratch work.