Menu

Coast to coast moving expenses?

Without going to into a long spiel, my dh spoke to the person who would be his direct boss yesterday and she let slip he would be coming out for another interview. This also means he would be one of 2-3 candidates at most for the job. Now, not to blow his horn, but for this specific position he the perfect match. Anyway there is a good chance we could be moving from SC to OR.

We haven't moved state to state since before kids and frankly this is much more involved since we own a home and it's coast to coast.

I'm taking notes so can you give me some ideas as what to expect?

We have a potential renter for our house and we could afford both mortgage and rent, but it's the moving and everything else that I'm nervous about.

Well it depends on if your hauling your own stuff or paying a moving company to do it.

Moving companies are more expensive but it can be easier.

Are you transporting a vehicle?

Will you purge first?

There are several factors involved :) First you need to figure out if your going to pay someone to move the stuff or do it yourself.

Well it depends on if your hauling your own stuff or paying a moving company to do it.

I don't know yet.

Moving companies are more expensive but it can be easier.

Are you transporting a vehicle?

Yes we would at least be driving our van out. We have a 13 yr old car I would rather just donate and buy a cheap used car out there. Rather than trailer it.

Will you purge first?

Yes, some.

There are several factors involved :) First you need to figure out if your going to pay someone to move the stuff or do it yourself.

We may store a good bit here. We have a large storage shed and a one bedroom office on our property.

Hi. I have moved from SC to AK and later AK to NV. First, if you move yourself, DO NOT move while kids are moving into and out of college. We did that going to AK, and all of Uhaul's blankets were spoken for. Make sure you get LOTS of blankets and protect your furniture.

The worst part about moving is rebuying the things you left behind. It takes quite a bit of $$ to reset up a house, so keep that in mind when you purge your current belongings. It might seem ridiculous to move that old mop, but you will be buying a lot of things for your new home. That would be one less thing to replace.

Research the area. Compare prices online. SC is cheaper than NV in ALL ways except food prices. (We have family in SC, so we are current on their prices.) You really want to have a good idea of what your living expenses will look like before you buy/rent a house.

You are about to change cultures, so bring things to make your home a "safe haven", too. No offense, but the South is not like the West! :) And I am not saying one is better than the other; just that they are different.

Good luck!

Lol, yes, I know the west is different. We actually are from the midwest and have never really connected with the south. I have a huge bed bug phobia so I'm worried about using the blankets. I called about PODS and the cheapest rate is $4k.

My sil just moved in July from VA to OR. She packed almost everything herself and contracted with a national moving company to load, store and unpack. Their house in VA was a 3br with no basement, and she did quite a bit of purging ahead of time. It cost in the $8-10k range, if I remember right.

Moving yourself is going to be waaay cheaper in the end but also more work.

I would recommend Budget trucks, versus Uhaul. Prices were very similiar, but Budget trucks are just nicer, cleaner, etc. BTW, you can get a price qoute for both, online, at their sites, in just a few minutes. Sign up for Budget's emails, they often offer 20% or so off of rentals...that's a nice bit of savings when you are talking $$$$ for renting.

Moving yourself does NOT mean you have to do it all yourself. On the actual moving day, you can actually hire local help to come do the actual "Load up the truck part" and only pay by the hour.

Same thing with the arrival there...you can hire local companies to help unload.

Using moving companies for the whole process is big $$$$, less work perhaps, but in the end, I guess you need to decide as it is time vs $$$, which is the priority to you?

Moving yourself does NOT mean you have to do it all yourself. On the actual moving day, you can actually hire local help to come do the actual "Load up the truck part" and only pay by the hour.

Same thing with the arrival there...you can hire local companies to help unload.

We hope to one day move and dread the loading/unloading, especially since dh has been having issues with his knees. How do you find these people to hire to load/unload? Are the separate or a part of moving companies?