Menu

I have to get my dog to stop howling while we're gone.

We have an eleven-year-old Australian shepherd. She's lived with us since she left her mom when she was five weeks old. She's a good dog, patient with babies, stays near without a leash, doesn't get into things, isn't too excited about guests but barks when someone she doesn't recognize comes in without knocking. She's amazingly mellow for an Aussie but when you get her out to the country she runs and zooms like she's chasing something. I love my dog as much as I love my children.

She sits at the window and cries very loudly, wailing and howling, the whole time we're out. It is driving our cousins, whose house we live in, crazy, keeping the one who works from home from being able to concentrate.

I have tried filling a toy with peanut butter or hard to get meaty treats. Starry Night couldn't care less.

If you folk don't have an idea, I have to get to get a buzzer collar for her. The wailing has absolutely got to stop. Please have killer ideas for me.

Wow, five weeks is awfully early to leave mom. Was there a reason you got her so early? For instance, was her mother rejecting her? Our pups don't leave until nine weeks. Those extra four weeks are critical. Standard is eight weeks, which is three full weeks later.

Let me think on it..... that's a toughie.

astrid

Wow, five weeks is awfully early to leave mom. Was there a reason you got her so early? For instance, was her mother rejecting her?

She was being sold by a rancher at a fair, she the only Aussie among three or four border collie pups. The rancher's four- or five-year-old son was torturing her at the fair, having taken a special liking to the only blue in the group.

Wow, five weeks is awfully early to leave mom. Was there a reason you got her so early? For instance, was her mother rejecting her? Our pups don't leave until nine weeks. Those extra four weeks are critical. Standard is eight weeks, which is three full weeks later.

Let me think on it..... that's a toughie.

astrid

But she's 11 years now?

Would your cousin let her come lie down with her? :) That would be my choice; my second would be to crate train her. In the not too hot part, I take my dog... in the back of my van.. in his crate. As long as he's "with us" he's happy :)

This is how we solved it - our lab mix went EVERYWHERE with us for years because she was a crate-destroyer and then panicked in the house when left alone.

Your work-at-home cousin could probably get her to be quiet by leashing her up and keeping her with him/her while he/she works. The first day, she would have to be hushed a couple of times, but after that it should be ok.

This is how we solved it - our lab mix went EVERYWHERE with us for years because she was a crate-destroyer and then panicked in the house when left alone.

Your work-at-home cousin could probably get her to be quiet by leashing her up and keeping her with him/her while he/she works. The first day, she would have to be hushed a couple of times, but after that it should be ok.

Starry can't go everywhere with us. We don't use a car to travel.

I feel timid about asking my cousin to take her into her tiny office, but maybe once Starry gets the idea that someone else who cares is in the house, it will be okay.

She probably has separation anxiety and needs a pal! Another dog may be your answer. Talk to your vet.:001_smile:

:iagree: My dog did the same thing when we moved into a new home. We got him a friend and they only howl the first few minutes when we leave. They cuddle together while we're gone and they are content. They are best buddies. :)