Menu

Fundraisers for you child's group/team - Sell or Pay the Opt Out?

We opt out.

FWIW, if your team is ordering things ahead of time to sell (like candy bars or whatever) be sure to make that known clearly. We had some heated discussions with a team manager who ignored our "we will opt out of all fundraisers" statement and tried to pressure us into selling. DH had to point out that the stupid things would be paid for with our "opt out" check, and if some other kid wants to go crazy selling, then there would be more for him.

We didn't get an "opt out" option with my son's teeball and I HATED doing the fundraising!!!

He recently started soccer and there IS an "opt out" option of $20.00. I gladly paid it!

The only fundraiser I don't mind is my daughter's Girl Scout cookies fundraiser. Those are fairly easy to sell. :D

Robin, are you saying you sign up for booths, the ones outside of Walgreens or whatever, and THEN ALSO pitch a table outside other businesses at other times? I am confused by you saying they are free to set up as many as they like on their own. In our council, and I thought nationally, a booth is a council sponsored event and you are absolutely forbidden to put up a table at a business like Office Depot or something, regardless of whether or not the manager allows you to be there. Its tricky and very competitive to get the best spots. I hated cookie time.

Now I'm in the world of popcorn with our Cub Scout. I have to seriously stand out in 112 degree heat so my little toothless 1st grader can ask if someone wants to support scouting by purchasing an insanely overpriced bag of popcorn.

I hate the whole thing and will try to do the buy out when I can.

In our area, it's up the service unit how that works out. We used to be allowed to set up booths on our own by talking to the store owner. BUt that got annoying for some store owners, so now all booths are set up by one volunteer.

In my troop I set up booths, through the volunteer, for my whole troop to do together, and for any individual girl to do on her with her parents. We can usually get as many as we want as long as we are willing to take the less popular locations. Wal-Mart is virtually impossible to get more than one or two booths at for he whole season. We live in a small town, so a good booth for us is 75 boxes, but we often sell a lot less.

The next town over though, troops can sell 300 boxes in one booth! I am so jealous!:blushing:

Robin, are you saying you sign up for booths, the ones outside of Walgreens or whatever, and THEN ALSO pitch a table outside other businesses at other times? I am confused by you saying they are free to set up as many as they like on their own. In our council, and I thought nationally, a booth is a council sponsored event and you are absolutely forbidden to put up a table at a business like Office Depot or something, regardless of whether or not the manager allows you to be there. Its tricky and very competitive to get the best spots. I hated cookie time.

it is set up like Reecie said below. all booths are organized by one volunteer and troops arrange through her. ours is set up as a lottery system where all troops show up on one night and hope their number is drawn first for the best spots. I get two booths for the troop, after that the mom/daughter can arrange through the booth coordinator any more spots they want.

If anyone knows of another business and wants to set up a booth they need to go through the booth coordinator (and business owner) so she knows where everyone is. But it is allowed.

Now I'm in the world of popcorn with our Cub Scout. I have to seriously stand out in 112 degree heat so my little toothless 1st grader can ask if someone wants to support scouting by purchasing an insanely overpriced bag of popcorn.

I hate the whole thing and will try to do the buy out when I can.

I don't sell for my kids at work. I don't sell for them, period. I haven't stopped them from soliciting my colleagues, though, other than to steer them to or away from specific individuals (to people whose kids I've bought from and away from people I know to be struggling financially). My colleagues know me well, and know that I'm not offended if they say no to my kid. I figure my kids are better for the effort, whatever the outcome. Life is full of rejection, and it's an important life lesson to learn how to deal with and manage that.

I don't buy from parents selling for their kids, but I never say no to a child who is out there soliciting. I think it's a good skill to learn, and I don't at all equate it with my funding another child's extracurricular; to me, it's about citizenship and contributing to productive groups within my community. Do I need Boy Scout popcorn or chocolate from the High School Band? Not really, but it's not about that to me. Nor is it about funding the basics of participation in said activity - it's more about helping a group in my community go above and beyond that basic level.

I talk to my kids about the fundraisers they participate in. My scouts feel like they really benefit (financially) from their efforts, so they pour a lot into those fundraisers. I have them schedule one day in which I'll walk the neighborhoods with them, door-to-door. We talk about salesmanship, including technique and how to read body language in determining how a sale is going (or won't go). I have had a few pushy MLM type friends, so my kids are well aware how that comes across (being a sale versus a person).

The same kids put forth very little effort when it comes to fundraisers for their sports. They don't see the same ROI on their investments, and don't always agree with how the Boards spend the funds. They'll solicit family and friends, and try to sell a token few. I have a large family and a wonderful circle of friends (we take turns buying from each other's kids). My kids can sell the minimal suggested amount and still not hit up everyone we know. They've learned the art of rotating who you ask, and again - they've learned that they'll sometimes be told 'no'.

I live in an affluent area, filled with people who sell for a living and also people who appreciate (and reward) ambition. They have the means to support a variety of fundraising efforts, and seem to share my outlook that it's more a community thing than it is funding an individual's participation in any one thing.

Over the years I've worked for and have also sat on boards for non-profits; I've logged countless hours trying to raise monies for various organizations and causes - sometimes writing grants, other times setting up events and programs. It's a big part of my life, and the kids have long been witness to it. I tend to see the good in fundraising, and actively support fundraising efforts for groups/causes I consider worthwhile.

I'm happy to have contributed to sending our local team to the little league world series :) I never once thought of it as paying for someone else's extracurricular participation. These same kids are out there picking up litter on the ballfields, helping run try-outs with the younger kids, and in general contributing positively to our small community. That's definitely worthy of my support, and I'm fortunate to be able to give it.

Beautifully written!!!:iagree:

In our area, it's up the service unit how that works out. We used to be allowed to set up booths on our own by talking to the store owner. BUt that got annoying for some store owners, so now all booths are set up by one volunteer.

In my troop I set up booths, through the volunteer, for my whole troop to do together, and for any individual girl to do on her with her parents. We can usually get as many as we want as long as we are willing to take the less popular locations. Wal-Mart is virtually impossible to get more than one or two booths at for he whole season. We live in a small town, so a good booth for us is 75 boxes, but we often sell a lot less.

us, too. but my parents can go directly to the booth coordinator and set up booths without my involvement. My daughters and I can only get Wal-mart because we take the 12-3pm shift when everyone else is in school.

The next town over though, troops can sell 300 boxes in one booth! I am so jealous!:blushing:

I get jealous, too. sometimes you sit there for 2 hours and sell 20 boxes! I tried contacting booth coordinator in other areas to see if there were any spots left and was told no.

robin in NJ