Menu

What does it mean to be "eco-conscious" or a "nonconsumer?"

In our home, it means I am constantly looking for a better (lower impact) way to do just about everything. I am always asking "could I do this with less/different/something else" until I find the balance in function.

But, then, I tend to think of that as basic economics.

well, I get told by my mom all the time that I am a non-consumer, lol.

I don't have a TV because I don't like all the advertising. I don't shop for recreational purposes. I don't understand the phrase 'retail therapy'. I try to take care of what I already own so it lasts a long time. I don't say things like "oh, the kids can thrash those shoes. I got them used so it doesn't matter." It does matter to me that our shoes last no matter where I got them or what I paid for them. Someone worked hard to make those shoes and my husband works hard to earn the money to buy those shoes no matter if it was 75$ or .75.

I fix things before I buy them. I have a hierarchy in my own head of what is 'worth' buying new and what gets bought used. I don't mind spending if it is called for, but I try to avoid getting caught up in the hype.

Keeping separate from our pro-consumer culture is a big part of why I homeschool.

Out in my neck of the woods, "eco-conscious" is not synonymous with "non-consumer".

Non-consumer would be someone who tries to reduce, reuse, re-purpose, scour thrift shops and Freecycle, and in general try to make do with less stuff.

The "eco-conscious" are those uber-obnoxious "greener-than-thou" hipster folks who flashily spend big bucks trying to get the most ecologically "pure" version of the same old luxury stuff that all the other yuppies have. :rolleyes:

Simplicity is something I value. I don't have tv because I won't pay to be sold to. I am not a "target demographic." I take care of and fix what I have so that it lasts longer. I evaluate the things I have to see if I still need them of if i can do without them. I shop as little as possible; it is a necessity and not a hobby.

Local is my first choice. I will pay more for fair-trade goods because I think it is important to use my money in alignment with my values. I will not buy a package of $3 socks then complain that our economy is in the cr**per.

I raise my own eggs, buy local grass-fed beef, buy most of my fruits and vegetables either from a CSA or a farmer's market. I eat my leftovers. I do not buy fast food. When we eat out, it is at a local restaurant that supports local sources for food.

I could go on, but it just gets more boring and includes things like buying in bulk and buying recycled paper products. I've never called myself either of those terms you used, but my relatives have described me that way. My brother even called me the first time he went to a farmer's market last weekend because he thought I'd be proud of him and because he realized the veggies he bought tasted much better. "Cheap", "hippie" and "granola" are also terms my relatives have used for me. :)

Edited by Karen in CO

eco-conscious means for us:

avoiding waste - for instance by repurposing peanut buttter jars and bringing our own cloth bags to the store

recycling

composting

commuting by bicycle when possible

conserving water and electricity

not using lawn chemicals

being sparing with household chemicals

driving an efficient small car

non-consumerism means for us:

not defining ourselves through our material possessions.

This includes:

not buying stuff we do not need.

not throwing away serviceable items because they are not in style

buying used

What does it mean to be "eco-conscious" or a "nonconsumer"? What does that look like in your home? Why do/be it? What is the motivation?
I believe living a sustainable lifestyle is better for the health of the planet and the people sharing it. Beyond that, I'll echo all of this:
Keeping separate from our pro-consumer culture...
We are trying to make our way towards zero waste living....It's basically getting away from too much "stuff."
(F)or our family to take responsibility for the waste it produces.
Local is my first choice. I will pay more for fair-trade goods because I think it is important to use my money in alignment with my values. I will not buy a package of $3 socks then complain that our economy is in the cr**per.

I raise my own eggs, buy local grass-fed beef, buy most of my fruits and vegetables either from a CSA or a farmer's market. I eat my leftovers. I do not buy fast food. When we eat out, it is at a local restaurant that supports local sources for food.

I could go on, but it just gets more boring and includes things like buying in bulk and buying recycled paper products.

eco-conscious means for us:

avoiding waste - for instance by repurposing peanut buttter jars and bringing our own cloth bags to the store

recycling

composting

commuting by bicycle when possible

conserving water and electricity

not using lawn chemicals

being sparing with household chemicals

driving an efficient small car (I admit I don't qualify on this. I resorted to a Carbon Footprint Enhancer (Suburban) when our fifth son was born, and our other vehicle is the farm truck. I plan soon to add a small, fuel-efficient hybrid to our "fleet", as I'm more often carrying fewer passengers now.)

non-consumerism means for us:

not defining ourselves through our material possessions.

This includes:

not buying stuff we do not need.

not throwing away serviceable items because they are not in style

buying used