Menu

Teaching Co's DVD: World History: The Fertile Crescent to The American Revolution?

Have you bought this?

I just won this on an auction on eBay- I got a great deal, but after the auction, I found out that it does NOT include the workbook that comes with the DVDs, as the auction described.

I told the seller to go ahead and send it to me anyway. (she was very apologetic and offered to refund) Still, I'm wondering if anyone here can clue me in to what I'll be missing by not having the workbook? Can I do without? Can I make up my own questions??

I haven't looked at the lectures yet, but I bought this used at a homeschool curriculum sale in June. What I bought was older (videocassettes!) but it was so cheap I figured I'd take a chance on it. So what I bought included 30 lectures and a spiral-bound "Study Workbook for World History." It's 86 pages long. For each lecture, it has one page of 10 comprehension questions and two essay questions. Then in the second part of the book, it has an answer key.

Most of these comprehension questions seem like things you could make up yourself ("What is cuneiform? What lands did Charles V control? What items did the Stamp Act tax?") However, if you like those questions, it would be a big time saver to have the study guide so you don't have to create it yourself.

Maybe you could contact the company and order a replacement study guide? (I don't know - I haven't tried it.)

Just curious - are you using this by itself or along with something else?

I haven't completely settled on that yet. We're not officially starting until the second week in September. So I'm still working things out. This was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up, even though it isn't exactly what DD wants to study this year. (she wants to focus on Europe in the Middle Ages) I was hoping to pop in one of the DVDs and get an idea for what is covered and how in depth. It could be that I'll be using it once a week with my DS, though I'd prefer to hold it for a year for him.

Thank you for the info on the booklet. I may end up contacting TTC anyway... but maybe not. I think I can come up with essay questions easily enough. Or I might have them practice outlining instead. :D

Check with your local library - they might have the dvds and the book that you can check out & see if it's something you really need. When we used the dvds, we just watched them together - enjoyed his performances & discussed the historical content.

Myra

Well, I bought a used set earlier this year. It had the dvds & the separate workbook. In the dvd case, there as also a 'course guidebook', which lists the same 2 essay question ideas as are in the separate study workbook. So, if you have the small book that goes in the dvd case, you'll have at least part of what is in the separate workbook anyway.

The separate workbook has one page of comprehension questions, plus 2 essay questions for each lecture. The small book that came w/ the dvds has an outline of each lesson, plus the 2 essay questions. If you have that small book, you could easily make up some comprehension questions based on the outline, imo.

Well, I bought a used set earlier this year. It had the dvds & the separate workbook. In the dvd case, there as also a 'course guidebook', which lists the same 2 essay question ideas as are in the separate study workbook. So, if you have the small book that goes in the dvd case, you'll have at least part of what is in the separate workbook anyway.

The separate workbook has one page of comprehension questions, plus 2 essay questions for each lecture. The small book that came w/ the dvds has an outline of each lesson, plus the 2 essay questions. If you have that small book, you could easily make up some comprehension questions based on the outline, imo.

Nifty! Thank you for the clarification. The comprehension questions, are they just basic questions designed to make sure the student was paying attention? If that's the case, I don't think I'll worry too much. I prefer essay question and note taking for that anyway.

Also- Myra, thank you for the suggestion. I did check out our library and, unfortunately, they aren't carrying this series. Actually, they don't carry many of the Teaching Company's programs at all. It's a little surprising as they otherwise have a pretty extensive collection of books and curriculum.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Nifty! Thank you for the clarification. The comprehension questions, are they just basic questions designed to make sure the student was paying attention? If that's the case, I don't think I'll worry too much. I prefer essay question and note taking for that anyway.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=131

If you scroll down to the very first review on this page (posted July 18), that person lists the comprehension questions for one of the lectures. It should give you an idea.... (Figured linking was easier than typing out the whole thing myself. :lol:)

Excellent! Thanks for the linkage. This explains a lot. I'm not nearly as worried about it. Especially if the DVDs still have the outlines, I should be ok.

If you don't mind me chatting you up some more and echoing lakerks question- did you use this alone? Or as a supplement?

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=131

If you scroll down to the very first review on this page (posted July 18), that person lists the comprehension questions for one of the lectures. It should give you an idea.... (Figured linking was easier than typing out the whole thing myself. :lol:)

When dd (now 20) was studying world history, I used this as a supplement to her text. The primary purpose was to practice taking notes off a lecture and for that, it worked well. I watched the videos with her so that I would be well aware of any main points she might have missed and I graded her notebook. I never worried about the workbook because we had other materials to use.

Faith

I like this idea, Faith. That was my original purpose for buying TC DVDs. Both of my kids really need to learn how to take notes, so I'm hoping to teach them outlining while we watch. I think that I'll stick with that plan. Perhaps not having the workbook will keep me focused on my goals. Heh.

I like Faith's idea of practicing note-taking. I think I'm going to have to implement that here.

For us, the dvds are the main history program. We watch a lecture & discuss. I do add some supplemental reading from a history textbook we have (as the chapters align w/ the lectures). This is our first year trying these & so far, they've been a hit. I wanted to spend more of our time focusing on other skills/info, so I decided the history dvds & some discussion would work for us this year.