Menu

WinterPromise Quest guidebooks

jejily

OK, I'm learning about so many new fabulous resources through this forum, I am now totally second-guessing myself on pretty much everything I had planned for next year... :001_unsure:

I'm now investigating the WP Quest for the Ancient World guidebook. I had a bit of sticker shock, however. Yowsers! :ohmy: Is it worth it? Does it include activities for you to do, or just direct you to other resources that have those activities?

Also... seeing as how we already covered much of the ancient civilizations up to Ancient Egypt this year (using MOH1, which I see is one of WP's "spines"), is it still worth the $$$ for the guidebook? Or should I wait and just buy the one for the Middle Ages?

I think the WP catalog is beautiful. And their ideas for curriculums look so neat. But when I consider the cost and look more closely at the books, I just can't do it.

If you want something else to consider (scoppe, sequence, and schedules are free) you might look at Amblesideonline.org. It doesn't always tell you what to do or say, but it gives you great, rich literature and will tell you what to read each week.

What appeals to you most about WP? The laid out schedule? The activities?

But if you know you want WP, I wouldn't pay that for a guidebook covering a subject halfway through. (But, then I'm a cheapskate and I would end up tweaking so much it wouldn't be worth it....) Just save up and get Middle Ages.

Just my .02 (really to give you another bump :D)

Just my .02 (really to give you another bump :D)

Thanks! :D

What appeals to you most about WP? The laid out schedule? The activities?

Both -- a plan that tells us what to read, and a variety of activities to enrich the learning.

We received QAW guide recently and will begin implementing it next week. We've already started with MOH, but are not as far as you are. What lesson are you on?

It does not have its own activities, unless you want to purchase the Make Your Own Notebook materials. (The package comes with them, I believe.) It does direct you to other resources that DO have them, and schedules them.

WP has MOH scheduled by civilization, not in the same order as MOH. That is why I asked what lesson you are on. We completed Week 5 in MOH, and are only taking two days to put us where we need to be in line with WP.

I think that WP is a great resource. It is exactly what I was trying to do, MOH in hand, on my own. I purchased only the guide and the MYON materials. I could have foregone the notebooking materials; the instructions are in the guidebook and I have a set of pages from Notebooking.com that would have worked just fine. Other than that, this curriculum is EXACTLY what I was trying to create from MOH's suggestions on my own. Plus, it has the activities my kids need. It breaks it down for me so that I'm not trying to do EVERYTHING - too much.

Would it be worth it to you, as far in as you are already? I think that depends on what it is you hope the program will provide, how much you have to spend, and how good your local library is. ;)

I've been jumping around MOH, keeping things grouped by civilization. Plus, I've been doing the Precept Ministries "Discover 4 Yourself" kid's Bible study on Abraham, which I will follow with the study on Isaac and Jacob, so I used MOH's lessons as a reinforcement. I planned on using AWOA next year, starting with Ancient Egypt... but wondered if the WP Quest guide wouldn't be helpful, as well.

I think maybe I'm trying to overdo it... I just keep second guessing myself on everything!!

I think I've decided to wait, not get the WP guide for the ancients...

AWOA has six units; the first three are on Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome, then the second half of the year is spent on the Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation, and Age of Exploration. I don't think we'll get through all six... but, I'll see how the first three go, then maybe I'll get the WP guide for the Middle Ages unit, and see how that works for us.

Can I thread jack and ask how it is working for you to buy only the guide? :001_smile: I was planning on trying this for all of our WP journey. Many of the AS books are in the library (for 4th grade), and I plan to coordinate HIH with my already planned study of Josephus and Island Story over 2nd and 3rd grade.

And I am already drooling over QAW for mid-jr. high, but I don't want to use MOH. I want to stick to the encyclopedia and SOTW. So I guess that is another question. :tongue_smilie:

:001_smile: I was planning on trying this for all of our WP journey. Many of the AS books are in the library (for 4th grade), and I plan to coordinate HIH with my already planned study of Josephus and Island Story over 2nd and 3rd grade.

:tongue_smilie:

I was going to buy the AS set this year with my kids...and I sat down to figure out how much it would cost if I used the books in the library. I had to search for the books that they had...then I realized by the time I took off all the books the library had ( a lot) and then added in the cost of the IG as it was included when you buy it as a set....It ended up I was going to pay slightly under the original cost of just buying the whole package. (if that makes sense)

Plus you dont have the headache of finding the books in the library when you need them. Once I realized how clsoe it was I guess it was better to buy the set.

I ended up getting sonlight instead...but we plan on adding our own websites, virtual field trips and extras from Paulas Archives site!

Good luck,

Michelle

Thanks. I will make sure I figure up exactly how much I will be saving now that you mention it. I have two counties to use (my mom's and mine), so I am finding almost all of them available at the library. DH said definitely use the library when you can. I will make sure I send him to pick them up part of the time, so he can change his mind with me if we decide to order them. LOL

I would still like more experiences if there are any out there.