Menu

s/o Christian Colleges, which ones have good nursing programs?

LuvingLife

I am definitely looking into more of Christian Colleges/Universities because of their atmosphere and the fact that they mirror my faith. My major is going to be in nursing, and there are many schools with excellent nursing programs and some that aren't so good or are just plain terrible. I would like to go for my BSN and complete my course within 4 years, but I would really love to attend a nice Christian College, preferably in the West, (see why here http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304747).

I also need a school that will get me close to a full ride because financially, we won't be able to afford the schools, and if I can get a full ride that would be perfect. The reason why I want to attend a Christian college is because there are a lot of missionary opporunities that integrate nursing, so I want to help out in that way. If I cannot afford a Christian college, then a normal public college would be fine just the same, but I would prefer a Christian college.

:bigear:

My middle dd graduated from Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, Idaho in 2009 with a nursing degree. It has a fabulous new science building and great teaching staff. My youngest dd is also attending there and majoring in prephysical therapy. She just got back from a medical mission trip sponsored by the university to Peru. She was in Peru for 2 weeks and they did clinics in remote areas with no medical facilities. Most of the kids on the trip were nursing majors, premed and 2 pre physical therapy students. The students went with 3 or 4 doctors and a couple of nurses but got to work in several areas of their makeshift clinics.

Here is a link to her trip

http://www.extremenazarene.org/FeatureNews.aspx?ID=255

A Link to the University

http://www.nnu.edu/about/

My middle dd received some very good scholarships while attending there. In Her junior and senior years she received some excellent nursing scholarships which kept costs down very well. Plus she was on the speech and debate team all 4 years and received a very good scholarship each year.

Hi! LeTourneau University (letu.edu) in Longview TX recently started a nursing degree program in conjunction with UT - Tyler (Tyler TX is about 45 min away from Longview). My son attends LeTourneau; it is a great school with a strong Christian emphasis. Good luck finding what you need!

Blessings,

April

PS - I am sure you already know this, but if you are a senior this year, you should be working on getting your applications in even now - financial aid is often available on a first come, first served basis.

you might look into Northeastern in Boston. Northeastern is a coop school, so the program takes 5 years, but you spend three separate periods during that time working on coop. We have a family friend who is going there now for nursing, and she's had some amazing coop opportunities working in the teaching hospitals in Boston. When she graduates, she'll have great experience on her resume.

Northeastern gives out some pretty good scholarships and merit aid as well. It's not a Christian school, but it does have several Christian fellowship groups. Best wishes in your college search!

Brenda

Check with you state Board of Nursing. They usually have statistics on passing rates of all the schools candidates have graduated from. You really want to look for a school with at least a 90% passing rate on the NCLEX. They usually have excellent programs that will prepare you well once you actually begin to nurse. You might also look at whether or not your state will do a reciprocal license. That way you might be able to take the test in another state, pass it, and apply for your license in the state you want to live in. The NCLEX is not a nationally normed test. Each state makes up their own test except those with reciprocity agreements with other states (NC is one of those). When you find a school that you like also ask for their statistics on passing rates. You don't want to go to 4 years of college and flunk the NCLEX. You can take it again but it is disheartening. So the first thing you should be looking at is their passing rate, then their financial aid package and then whether you can tolerate it or not.

Check with you state Board of Nursing. They usually have statistics on passing rates of all the schools candidates have graduated from. You really want to look for a school with at least a 90% passing rate on the NCLEX. They usually have excellent programs that will prepare you well once you actually begin to nurse. You might also look at whether or not your state will do a reciprocal license. That way you might be able to take the test in another state, pass it, and apply for your license in the state you want to live in. The NCLEX is not a nationally normed test. Each state makes up their own test except those with reciprocity agreements with other states (NC is one of those). When you find a school that you like also ask for their statistics on passing rates. You don't want to go to 4 years of college and flunk the NCLEX. You can take it again but it is disheartening. So the first thing you should be looking at is their passing rate, then their financial aid package and then whether you can tolerate it or not.

This is very good to know as I will be really looking into nursing schools now and I can't wait to start. I will definitely be asking about the NCLEX and the passing rate for the tests at the school. I really just want to take the test once and not again and again. Thank you!

Cedarville University in Ohio is a Christian college and has a wonderful nursing program. My daughter's best friend is attending now and loves it.

I don't think it'll be easy to get a full ride at a private college, but you can try.

I can second the nursing program at Cedarville. I can also tell you that they only hand out about 4, 75% tuition/room board scholarships per year to the incoming freshman class. To qualify for that you need a minimum 31 on the ACT, recommendations, 3.9 GPA or higher. The next scholarship after that is around $7500.00 for the top 10% of those that met the requirements of the 75% scholarship but didn't get it. DD applied, got into the pre-nursing department and had a 30 on the ACT and 3.89 GPA. This was back when tuition, room, and board totalled $25,000.00. She received $10,000.00 in scholarships and our EFC was too high for her to qualify for need based aid, but we couldn't afford that $15,000.00 per year balance with three boys yet to put through college as well. She ended up at an in-state university for 75% scholarship and that was a WHOLE lot cheaper. This turned out to be a good thing for her because she switched to pre-med. It's important to consider how much debt you are willing to incur for under-grad if you are going to incur a lot for post-grad. So, just a thought. Will you be seeking only the BS.RN. or will you be going directly to a post-grad/nurse practitioner program which is going to cost you even more money.

That said, if you can land one of those rare 75% scholarships at Cedarville, the college is definitely worth it!

Faith

I can second the nursing program at Cedarville. I can also tell you that they only hand out about 4, 75% tuition/room board scholarships per year to the incoming freshman class. To qualify for that you need a minimum 31 on the ACT, recommendations, 3.9 GPA or higher. The next scholarship after that is around $7500.00 for the top 10% of those that met the requirements of the 75% scholarship but didn't get it. DD applied, got into the pre-nursing department and had a 30 on the ACT and 3.89 GPA. This was back when tuition, room, and board totalled $25,000.00. She received $10,000.00 in scholarships and our EFC was too high for her to qualify for need based aid, but we couldn't afford that $15,000.00 per year balance with three boys yet to put through college as well. She ended up at an in-state university for 75% scholarship and that was a WHOLE lot cheaper. This turned out to be a good thing for her because she switched to pre-med. It's important to consider how much debt you are willing to incur for under-grad if you are going to incur a lot for post-grad. So, just a thought. Will you be seeking only the BS.RN. or will you be going directly to a post-grad/nurse practitioner program which is going to cost you even more money.

That said, if you can land one of those rare 75% scholarships at Cedarville, the college is definitely worth it!

Faith

Thank you for the recommendation Faith, I am glad that Cedarville has a good reputation as a nursing school but I cannot deal with all of the debt, so I am choosing private colleges and state schools that offer a lot of aid.

Thank you again!

Liberty University. Yes, I graduated from there. However, they have a superb nursing school and offer TONS of scholarships. My dd is a student there and had set her sights on nursing until she went on a missions trip and changed her major.

One of my friends is a head nurse here in our adjacent city and she went to Lynchburg College. She told me when they get the Liberty grads, they are the BEST! She said they do not have to "re-train" them correctly and they come in ready to work! We have a ton of nursing schools nearby, so I knew this was a huge review.

Liberty is easy to get into, but not easy to stay (academically speaking). Their nursing school is TOUGH. Many enter...about 1/4-1/3 actually graduate with a degree in nursing. Also, be aware LU is no longer an "open" admissions school.

About the mission trip...Liberty offers tons, but the one my dd went on transferred all of the costs of the trip into scholarship tuition money. So, the $3,500 for the trip was applied to her tuition. Plus, their trips are life changing:) The trips are for high school students and college students alike. Xtremeimpact.

Hope this helps!

Hope44

Liberty University. Yes, I graduated from there. However, they have a superb nursing school and offer TONS of scholarships. My dd is a student there and had set her sights on nursing until she went on a missions trip and changed her major.

One of my friends is a head nurse here in our adjacent city and she went to Lynchburg College. She told me when they get the Liberty grads, they are the BEST! She said they do not have to "re-train" them correctly and they come in ready to work! We have a ton of nursing schools nearby, so I knew this was a huge review.

Liberty is easy to get into, but not easy to stay (academically speaking). Their nursing school is TOUGH. Many enter...about 1/4-1/3 actually graduate with a degree in nursing. Also, be aware LU is no longer an "open" admissions school.

About the mission trip...Liberty offers tons, but the one my dd went on transferred all of the costs of the trip into scholarship tuition money. So, the $3,500 for the trip was applied to her tuition. Plus, their trips are life changing:) The trips are for high school students and college students alike. Xtremeimpact.

Hope this helps!

Hope44

Thank you, I wasn't so much into LU, but maybe I should take another look now. Thank you all for your replies I appreciate it!