Menu

Possible receptive communication delay?

My child is 5.5. He is a very bright little boy who was a late-talker/early reader. He has been in speech therapy (with the school district) for fluency issues (mild stutter). He started school 2 weeks ago at a Classical Christian school.

I have noticed that he has issues with following directions. He can do 2-step commands, but his retention of what is asked for him is not the best. Also when I am reading to him, his comprehension level is lacking. His teacher mentioned that during math time (using manipulatives) he needs a lot of one-on-one help with following directions. She said his counting and ability are great but the classroom skill of following directions is lacking (not within normal range, it is not an obedience issue but more of comprehending the directions). A "yellow flag went up" with me when she told me about this.

I am concerned that there might be a delay in receptive communication. Do you have any advice on exercises to work on comprehension and direction following? curriculum? blog? advice?

My child is 5.5. He is a very bright little boy who was a late-talker/early reader. He has been in speech therapy (with the school district) for fluency issues (mild stutter). He started school 2 weeks ago at a Classical Christian school.

I have noticed that he has issues with following directions. He can do 2-step commands, but his retention of what is asked for him is not the best. Also when I am reading to him, his comprehension level is lacking. His teacher mentioned that during math time (using manipulatives) he needs a lot of one-on-one help with following directions. She said his counting and ability are great but the classroom skill of following directions is lacking (not within normal range, it is not an obedience issue but more of comprehending the directions). A "yellow flag went up" with me when she told me about this.

I am concerned that there might be a delay in receptive communication. Do you have any advice on exercises to work on comprehension and direction following? curriculum? blog? advice?

Did they do a complete speech evaluation before they started services for his stutter? If so, try to find the report and see what it says about receptive listening skills.

I'd start with that and then go to whomever is providing services with your concerns.

Good luck! :grouphug:

Thank you! I was already planning on talking to the speech therapist about this. Yes, he was evaluated.

Try to find the report and see what it says. It's been a while since my kids had speech services but I remember the reports were pretty thorough.

There are some speech lang. pathologists on here.

Try putting some tags on this thread. It might help catch someone's eye.

Lindamood Bell's Visualizing and Verbalizing program totally changed my son's receptive language skills. Prior to doing the program, he would get very upset if I turned on a 10 minute audiobook in the car. Halfway through the program, he began to listen to all the Beverly Cleary audiobooks and really enjoying them.

We did V/V when he was 5. He is 11, almost 12, now and has excellent listening and reading comprehension. The other thing that I believe really helped him was listening to tons of audiobooks and using SL (which had me reading aloud to him every day for a substantial amount of time).

Lisa

A couple of possibilities:

*Auditory Processing Disorder

*ADD (is very possible to have without the hyperactivity/behavior issues)

*Working Memory issues

In my experience with my boys, receptive language delay is simply a symptom of a larger problem, not a root problem of its own.

ETA: Also dyslexia. There was a correlation in my dc between dyslexia and stuttering as well (my dyslexic children stuttered, my non-dyslexic did not.)