Menu

Possible receptive communication issues?

My child is 5.5. He is a very bright little boy who was a late-talker/early reader. He has been in speech therapy for fluency issues (mild stutter).He started school 2 weeks ago at a Classical Christian school.

I have noticed that he has issues with following directions. He can do 2-step commands, but his retention of what is asked for him is not the best. Also when I am reading to him, his comprehension level is lacking. His teacher mentioned that during math time (using manipulatives) he needs a lot of one-on-one help with following directions. She said his counting and ability are great but the classroom skill of following directions is lacking (not within normal range).

I am concerned that there might be a delay in receptive communication. Do you have any advice on exercises to work on comprehension and direction following? curriculum? blog? advice? :bigear:

My child is 5.5. He is a very bright little boy who was a late-talker/early reader. He has been in speech therapy for fluency issues (mild stutter).He started school 2 weeks ago at a Classical Christian school.

I have noticed that he has issues with following directions. He can do 2-step commands, but his retention of what is asked for him is not the best. Also when I am reading to him, his comprehension level is lacking. His teacher mentioned that during math time (using manipulatives) he needs a lot of one-on-one help with following directions. She said his counting and ability are great but the classroom skill of following directions is lacking (not within normal range).

I am concerned that there might be a delay in receptive communication. Do you have any advice on exercises to work on comprehension and direction following? curriculum? blog? advice? :bigear:

Has he been seen by an audiologist? If not, confirm he doesn't have hearing issues. He may have CAPD and typically, kids aren't tested till 7 or older for that.

http://www.concordspedpac.org/CAPD.html

http://www.nathhan.com/audvis.htm

http://www.achievepublications.com/auditorysequentialmemory.html

Earobics for the computer

Narration exercises

There is also different types of "listening therapies"

As some children get older, the problem may persist. I would have him evaluated again by an SLP to check his auditory processing and memory. He may need more therapy than just for fluency.

My ds has great conversational skills. He is highly social. He is bright. He just seems like in the classroom setting he needs one on one attention at Math time because there are a lot of specific instructions (Saxon K). Following instructions and comprehension of words that somehow I think he should know (each) are not there.

I have one dd who has always shown this kind of problem, inability to follow directions, remembering verbal instructions, "getting" what she hears. I got so sick of people telling me, "She's got to learn to listen," as if it were a discipline issue. I was sure it was an auditory processing problem, and I had her tested by an audiologist but the evaluation came back as normal. So then I had to look at other possibilities.

As pp mentioned, usually kids have to be about 7 for a CAPD evaluation. In our case, one dd was being tested so we had another dc done at the same time. That dd was already getting OT for SPD. She was 6 and the audiologist warned us that the testing may not go well, but we decided to go ahead and it was fine.

Like your ds, my dd did very well in school but had the most problems staying with the discussion in math, but she still placed in the highest math class. Her teachers said that in class she often wouldn't know what problem or even what page they were working on. I guess it was so bad that the other kids noticed and it became a bit of a joke. She'd still get the answers right, though.:001_smile:

I think it's great that you are looking into what steps you can take with your ds while he's still young. :grouphug:

I'm dealing with similar issues with my DD. She has difficulty following multi-step directions in the correct order, among other things. We're going through testing at the moment to figure out whether it's an auditory processing problem, an attention one, a working memory one, or some combination. The audiologist wants her to come back in for additional CAPD testing, but not until she's been gotten a full neuropsych eval to rule out ADHD. We're still waiting on the insurance approval for that :glare: