Menu

Opinion Needed - BJU The American Republic

I am looking at using BJU American Republic for my 8th graders this year. I love the living history type reading, but I'm overwhelmed. I would like to hear all the positives and negatives of this curriculum for history.

I would like something Christian, challenging and informational. Does BJU fit that?

I plan on having them read books off the sonlight list for core 100 and we will be doing LLATL and Writing Trails for American History. I've got Science covered with Apologia physical. History is the one that I just keep coming back to and changing. Insights and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

I completely hear you. I felt the same way this year and ended up going with Abeka Land I love and adding to it. I probably would have preferred BJU but it was much more expensive. My plan is we will do a section and then flesh it out, but if we are pinched for time I can also have her just read from the text and do the questions.

We just started it this year. My 7th grade dd is finding it quite challenging. I haven't completely figured out all the implementation. So far, what we've done is read the whole chapter. Do the student activities. Complete the section review questions. Test. There is a lot of data memorization that I haven't grappled with yet. (see below)

We are blowing our way through the first 8 chapters to get to a certain point that will mesh with the other program she is doing. Then we'll take more like two weeks per chapter.

HTH

We're starting this Monday (with the online video program).

I have also purchased the audio book for Bill Bennett's American the Last Best Hope, which I plan (for ds) to listen to along with the BJUP class.

My general approach is to skip the assignments, chapter reviews, and tests. I don't know if I'll be able to continue this as we approach high school. :confused: I can't see how to get everything done if we add that all back in. :confused:

But, over all, I have been pleased with BJUP as -- as you said -- Christian, challenging, and informational.

I have been going four days a week. I think if you allow 1 hour per day, you can get it all done with one chapter per week. DD reads the chapter and starts the activity guide day one. Day two finish the activity guide. Day three review questions. Day four test.

Dd used it last year. She started SL Core 100 but could not stand Joy Hakim's series. I already had the previous edition of BJU's text, so she used that as her spine. She did read many of SL's literature books. I think it will meet your needs.

I felt that many of BJU's student activities were very good. There was map work, outlining, and very good charts to group information and make comparisons and such.