Menu

Traditional Logic (Memoria Press):suggestions for engaging, interesting activities?

I am prepping to tutor Traditional Logic I next year in the context of a Classical Conversations Challenge II group. We have one student this year who needs to work through this course right now, so as to be ready for her Challenge III Logic II course. So, I have the privilege of working one-on-one with her (which serves the dual purpose of giving her the class she needs and keeping me accountable to prep for next year!)

I am COMPLETELY new to the study of Logic and find it a delightful challenge. However, I confess that I find the books (and the DVDs) to be dreadfully dry. I would love some ideas for activities, discussion, games, etc (remember, there are only two of us!) that would make it a little more interactive and lively. The student is VERY motivated and independent so I expect she will be coming to our class each week with her workbook completed and corrected.

Several people I know add Fallacy Detective--or get a list of common fallacies on the web, and ask students find examples to discuss during class. Fortunately, you can assure your student that TL I goes fairly quickly and TL II will be more fun (for most students). How often do you plan to meet?

Several people I know add Fallacy Detective--or get a list of common fallacies on the web, and ask students find examples to discuss during class. Fortunately, you can assure your student that TL I goes fairly quickly and TL II will be more fun (for most students). How often do you plan to meet?

I have the Fallacy Detective video (or something similar from the same authors). That's a great idea!! It's a lot more fun.

We will meet once a week, and finish Logic I by the first week of December. We'll do approximately one lesson a week, although we're going to have to double up a couple times.

Part of the problem is ALL of it is so completely new to me, I don't even know WHAT to look for. I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around it. I've never been accused of being logical. ;)

I have the Fallacy Detective video (or something similar from the same authors). That's a great idea!! It's a lot more fun.

We will meet once a week, and finish Logic I by the first week of December. We'll do approximately one lesson a week, although we're going to have to double up a couple times.

Part of the problem is ALL of it is so completely new to me, I don't even know WHAT to look for. I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around it. I've never been accused of being logical. ;)

I think you'll find that schedule workable. I sat in on my son's TL I weekly co-op and worked through the book on my own. (His teacher required parent attendance because her time for consultation between classes was limited.) Before I knew what was happening I was hooked and had agreed to lead a class through TL II the next semester. :eek: When you start to wonder why you're trudging through, don't be discouraged. The "why's" will be more understandable once you get to the second book.

The material in the first book is broken down into manageable portions, so I expect you and your student will have a wonderful time and will cover the material fairly easily. If you have any questions, though, feel free to post questions here or send me a PM. I've deleted a lot of my bookmarks to internet resources but still have the TL books and answer keys with my own notes added to some of the questions that gave us trouble.

Enjoy!

Martha

I think you'll find that schedule workable. I sat in on my son's TL I weekly co-op and worked through the book on my own. (His teacher required parent attendance because her time for consultation between classes was limited.) Before I knew what was happening I was hooked and had agreed to lead a class through TL II the next semester. :eek: When you start to wonder why you're trudging through, don't be discouraged. The "why's" will be more understandable once you get to the second book.

The material in the first book is broken down into manageable portions, so I expect you and your student will have a wonderful time and will cover the material fairly easily. If you have any questions, though, feel free to post questions here or send me a PM. I've deleted a lot of my bookmarks to internet resources but still have the TL books and answer keys with my own notes added to some of the questions that gave us trouble.

Enjoy!

Martha

Thank you so much!!!

When you start to wonder why you're trudging through, don't be discouraged. The "why's" will be more understandable once you get to the second book.

Thanks for this peek into the future. My dd is just starting it today - so I can give her this encouragement...

Joan

I read on the Memoria Press website that Cothran recommends Keefer's Handbook of Christian Apologetics as a companion book. Any thoughts or suggestions? This is a VERY bright, motivated, and mature student I am working with; I want to make sure she is challenged.

Oops, Kreeft, not Keefer.

In my defense, I have a boxed set of season 1 of 24 in my cart on Amazon, open in another tab. (And yes, I know *that* one is spelled Keifer, but I digress.)

I'm not familiar with that one, but my son enjoyed some of his other books. His favorites were Socrates Meets Jesus and Socrates Meets Marx.

ETA: You might want to search the archives for posts by Tina in Ouray. What little help or encouragement I can offer I learned from Tina and from my son's co-op teacher.

Edited by Martha in NM
Add info.

I was going to suggest Kreeft to you when I saw you post the first time. I saw that suggestion in the MP catalogue. I asked about it on the website and Mr. Cothran didn't reply--someone else did. They said the two Kreeft books are good to use but we might not be ready for them until the second semester's study. The catalogue suggested them with Trad Logic I, though. So I'm thinking that if you have a bright motivated student, maybe you would be OK starting them this semester. I haven't gotten them yet, but I read a little bit of the Socrates meets Jesus book on Amazon and it looks interesting.

I'm going to :bigear: on this topic because this is where we are too. I look forward to hearing any further discussions.

Are you able to change curricula? I found Latin for Children to be fabulous. It is for elementary aged students. The same publisher has Latin Alive for grades 7+. The materials are engaging, the language is presented clearly and plenty of practice is included. I highly recommend them.

ACK! I just realized that you were asking about logic & I replied with Latin. I'm so embarrassed!:blush5:

Classical Academic Press has wonderful logic books as well as Latin! They are also engaging & clearly presented. The Art of Argument(intro. to informal logic) is the first book followed by The Discovery of Deduction (intro to formal logic) and The Argument Builder.

I hope you have a great semester.

Edited by TechWife

• 2 weeks later...
Are you able to change curricula? I found Latin for Children to be fabulous. It is for elementary aged students. The same publisher has Latin Alive for grades 7+. The materials are engaging, the language is presented clearly and plenty of practice is included. I highly recommend them.

ACK! I just realized that you were asking about logic & I replied with Latin. I'm so embarrassed!:blush5:

Classical Academic Press has wonderful logic books as well as Latin! They are also engaging & clearly presented. The Art of Argument(intro. to informal logic) is the first book followed by The Discovery of Deduction (intro to formal logic) and The Argument Builder.

I hope you have a great semester.

Oh, I'm as lost in Latin as I am in Logic, so that's fine. :)