Menu

MCT Sentence Island question

acurtis75

I started Grammar Island a few weeks ago with dd6. Basically, she read it and went through the information herself in about a week because she was tired of waiting for me to get around to starting it. After she finished we started the Practice Island sentences. She gets most of them correct and seems to grasp the concepts week. I am now looking to incorporate SI, MOTH & BL. I pulled up the schedule satorismiles posted and am using it for planning but as I'm reviewing the SI exercises I'm having trouble seeing how they differ from what we're already doing in PI. I'm thinking I should only do the writing exercises and skip the level 4 analysis because it's duplicated in PI. Can anyone else confirm this for me or make suggestions based on the way you did it?

I did GI first, and we're currently doing MOH and practice Island. I wanted to leave Sentence Island for towards the end of the year because writing is still physically hard for her. And she's LOVING MOH and coming up with some wonderful poetry (which also means she's writing quite a bit).

I'm planning to read through BL before going on to SI as well. DD is getting some of the roots and how English connects in Latin and Greek, and I think she'll have fun with BL, but not necessarily get any new information out of it, so I'm thinking it might be good around the busy Thanksgiving-Christmas season where we usually do "School-lite".

We read Grammar Island and Sentence Island before starting Practice Island. If I remember right, GI mostly covers the parts of speech and parts of a sentence where SI covered phrases and clauses. You'll need to know all four things to do the PI, especially towards the middle/end of the book. At the beginning of PI, the sentences are easy, but they get harder towards the end, and you'll need the information in both GI and SI to do them. A few sentences have things that aren't covered in either book; it's kind of a look ahead to next year thing.

You can fold MOH and BL in any time, though starting BL before or at the same time as PI is helpful, because she'll have been exposed to the vocabulary before seeing it in PI.

Edited by joannqn