Menu

Best Energy Boosters

Lethargic just doesn't even begin to describe how I feel these days. I have a 6, 4, and almost 2yo. Between the three of them I never get a full night's sleep. Someone gets me up at least once a night. They have me up by 6:30 every morning and that is really sleeping in most days. If I try to get up before them, they sense it and wake up earlier and earlier to be with me. I try to go to bed by 10, but it is so hard because I am an extreme introvert and can't turn off until I have had some quiet alone time each day. The are usually asleep before 8 (I try to have them asleep by 7 most days because the older two don't nap and will not sleep in.) so staying up until 10 is about the time I need.

My diet is horrible. I live on carbs, sugar and diet soda with the occasional salad. I don't exercise and I am still breastfeeding the toddler. By the end of the day (middle of the afternoon!) I am totally spent. I turned 40 this year and have been slowly gaining weight.

Within the past couple of months I have tried at various times: waking up early to exercise, low carb diet, giving up soda. And I have given up on all of them after a bit of time because it all seemed like too much work and sacrifice.

I don't know if there is a medical reason or not but my gut says it is lifestyle. Does anyone have any quick energy tips? Maybe I just need to try the healthy habits again, but do them all at once. I feel like if I had something to give me a jump start or boost then I would have the energy to carry through on the lifestyle changes. I just feel stuck and tired.

Thanks for reading!

Pam

I would suggest a simple bloodtest to have your thyroid checked.

:iagree:

When I felt this way a year and a half ago, I found out I have low thyroid and low Vit D. Medicating/supplementing for those two things made an enormous difference. However, what has made an even greater difference for me (after having my levels of those two things in the normal range for quite a long time) was a very healthy diet and regular exercise. For me, this did mean low carb. I know it is a lot of effort but it is worth it. I eat tons of veggies, with a giant salad every day for lunch. If I'm snacky, I grab fruits, veggies, nuts, some feta and Greek olives, etc. My head feels clear in a way it hasn't in quite a long time and I'm not hungry until I'm really, truly, gut-growling hungry--no sugar highs and crashes (and I have always eaten healthy but even healthy carbs were too much for me, as my family is wicked prone to diabetes). I highly recommend reading Spark. Exercise is the cure for everything! Also, yoga. Looooove the yoga. If you have Netflix instant, try the Candlelight Yoga to relax at night. It's transformative!

My diet is horrible. I live on carbs, sugar and diet soda with the occasional salad. I don't exercise and I am still breastfeeding the toddler.

Pam

Hi Pam,

I think this might be a big part of your problem! Add protein to your diet, like an afternoon snack of almonds or walnuts with an apple. How about having eggs for breakfast? Or a bowl of (healthy) yogurt? Toast with peanut butter?

Is it possible to take walks with your children? Even 15 or 20 minutes of fresh air and activity would probably help you and your children.

In addition to the thyroid work-up, you can ask to be screened for anemia. Hope you feel better!

Hi Pam,

I think this might be a big part of your problem! Add protein to your diet, like an afternoon snack of almonds or walnuts with an apple. How about having eggs for breakfast? Or a bowl of (healthy) yogurt? Toast with peanut butter?

Is it possible to take walks with your children? Even 15 or 20 minutes of fresh air and activity would probably help you and your children.

In addition to the thyroid work-up, you can ask to be screened for anemia. Hope you feel better!

:iagree: A decent size breakfast - no skimping - with lots of protein.

For a quick fix: take No Doz. Check out what Dr. Oz says about it. The opinion on caffeine -- that it's pure evil -- is really beginning to turn.

Of course I wouldn't take it after 1 p.m.

My heart goes out to you. When my twins were young I was flat out exhausted. Sleep deprivation is a serious thing.

Oh, and I agree with everything said above, but if you know you're not getting enough sleep, that might be it.

Hang in there,

Alley

The consequence of taking caffeine though for many person is a crash later in the day. It's something to be aware of.

Just speaking for myself, it never has been for me. But sometimes I just crack one in half so it's about 100 mg. caffeine -- one cup of coffee. But it seems to get in quicker.

I just think we're coming from a generation of "caffeine is bad" and they're starting to think otherwise. Really, check Dr. Oz.

Alley

Just speaking for myself, it never has been for me. But sometimes I just crack one in half so it's about 100 mg. caffeine -- one cup of coffee. But it seems to get in quicker.

I just think we're coming from a generation of "caffeine is bad" and they're starting to think otherwise. Really, check Dr. Oz.

Alley

I'm not a Dr. Oz fan. :D But it's okay anyway, I'm not anti-caffeine at all. It just does affect some people that way. Me for instance. I can have a cup and feel perkier for about an hour and then need to crawl to bed for a nap after that. Two cups a day (when I'm not preggers) are my limit as it cause my heart to go a little crazy. I will take it with certain painkillers though to increase their effectiveness.

Heck, I'm on ritalin (again, when I'm not preggers) so there's no way I'd slag caffeine! :D

One thing I would like to mention is that being low thyroid and Vit D was kind of a wake up call for me. Essentially, I feel those were symptoms of my very stressed, lacking in self-care lifestyle. Three babies in three years, followed by being an introverted, perfectionist homeschooler, the constant stress of Army related absences and long deployments... All those things paired with (though reasonably healthy) a not optimal diet...

Yes, you can take caffeine and look at other quick fixes. You can get your Vit and thyroid levels checked and treated if they are low. But the bottom line is that you have to take better care of yourself. Once I started taking care of myself in a holistic mind/body/spiritual kind of way, I started feeling better. My bottom line recommendation is to look for a cure to the larger problem, not quick fixes to alleviate symptoms of that problem.

:grouphug:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Thanks so much everyone. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow for the thyroid work up and a check of my iron levels. With the last pregnancy I had a placenta preevia and was offered a blood transfusion after my emergency c-section. I refused it, so it is entirely possible that I am still running close to anemia. My mom (the RN) mentioned that today too.

I do tend to have some kind of protein for breakfast (mostly peanut butter on a whole grain bagel) and try to at meals. My snacks are what tend to be cakes, cookies, crackers or chips. I think a diet change would do me a world of good. We do go to the park most mornings. And no, I know I don't drink nearly enough water. I tend to reach for the caffeine for the energy boost, but it never lasts long.

Kristina - I think you are right on the lifestyle changes. Anything else will only take me so far. Do you have an eating plan that you follow?

Thanks again everyone.

Pam

Thanks so much everyone. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow for the thyroid work up and a check of my iron levels. With the last pregnancy I had a placenta preevia and was offered a blood transfusion after my emergency c-section. I refused it, so it is entirely possible that I am still running close to anemia. My mom (the RN) mentioned that today too.

I do tend to have some kind of protein for breakfast (mostly peanut butter on a whole grain bagel) and try to at meals. My snacks are what tend to be cakes, cookies, crackers or chips. I think a diet change would do me a world of good. We do go to the park most mornings. And no, I know I don't drink nearly enough water. I tend to reach for the caffeine for the energy boost, but it never lasts long.

Kristina - I think you are right on the lifestyle changes. Anything else will only take me so far. Do you have an eating plan that you follow?

Thanks again everyone.

Pam

Be sure to get your Vit D checked too. Fixing that was at least as big a help as fixing the thyroid.

I call my diet the Mother Nature plan. :lol: I've always had a thing about food being recognizable in nature. I like Michael Pollan's books and highly recommend them. I think there is something in his books about if you look at a list of ingredients and find something that your Grandma wouldn't have had in her kitchen, put it back.

I don't think everyone needs to be low carb but I do. Every single person (!!) on my mother's side of the family has/had diabetes so at 39, I've started to get really serious about restricting my net carbs (net being total carb minus fiber). I will not give up meat but I did find a local farm that has pastured beef, pork and chicken so I fill my freezer with that twice a year now. I also get her pastured eggs.

A typical day of eating:

Breakfast: pico de gallo omelette (2 eggs, 1/4 c. cheese, 1/2 c. pico) and half an avocado

Lunch: almost always a (freakishly) large salad (garden, Cobb, taco... My favorite is Greek--romaine, cucumber, red onions, tomatoes, wedge of feta, olives, left over grilled chicken, and a drizzle of oil & vinegar.)

Snacks: handful of nuts, boiled/deviled eggs, 1 piece of 70% dark chocolate (that's my big indulgence), bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes, other fresh veggies--love them all, mozzarella balls with tomatoes, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt with frozen berries, half an avocado, etc.)

Dinner: grilled chicken or steak with side salad and lots of veggies

It can be a challenge to keep fresh foods in the house and chopped/ready-to-eat, especially with littles. I have three medium-ish kids but DH is gone and I dread going grocery shopping 2-3x a week for fresh veg. So, I buy every 5 days or so, clean it all, cut it and put it in glass fridge dishes on the same day and it lasts pretty well.

Honestly, I have never felt more well than when eating this way. And I feel kind to myself. You know that feeling you get when you eat something you "shouldn't" and then too much of something you shouldn't because you were already eating it anyway so why not just a bit more? It's really nice to not have that feeling. Only when I started eating intentionally did I realize how bloated and miserable I was before. Again, I was eating a pretty healthy diet before--whole grain bread, whole grain pasta when we had it, everything "they" recommend. It just wasn't working for me. Oh, another incredible thing I noticed when I started eating this way is that I can stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore. Notice I'm not saying I can stop when I'm full. At a certain point, I feel satisfied and I stop. I truly believe there is something to starches/carbs and cravings. For me anyway...

I should mention that I also started taking my self-care very seriously. I'm enforcing quiet time better, taking some long, luxurious baths, reading (non-HS books!) for pleasure, watching movies without doing anything else simultaneously (a really big deal, if you knew me!). That is to say, above all, be kind to yourself.

ETA: Oh! When I started, I gave up all beverages except water and tea (iced or hot, no sugar, just a squeeze of lemon or lime). I'm now back on coffee (again, argh!) and it's not agreeing with me. I think I'm going to have to give it up again. I've been on and off the coffee wagon too many times to count!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

EAT MORE

Eat real food, as close to nature as possible. A great book is “Food Rules†by Michael Pollan. Think close to nature, think Mediterranean diet.

Make sure to eat a healthy and balanced breakfast. Aim for an energy-balancing mix of high-quality carbs, lean protein and healthy fats -- oatmeal with a serving of almonds, an egg white omelet with a slice of avocado and a side of berries, or even last night's leftovers.

Stay hydrated – drink lots of water

Besides drinking enough water and eating water-based fruits and vegetables throughout the day, aim for at least 1 serving of a potassium-rich food or drink -- such as avocado, coconut water, or a banana -- each day.

Dark chocolate contains the stimulant theobromine, which boosts energy without the jitters that can come from caffeine. Choose chocolate with at least 70 percent cacao.

Cumin boosts energy. It’s rich in iron, a mineral that combats fatigue by stimulating the production of red blood cells. It’s also anti-inflammatory and inhibits the buildup of harmful protein deposits in the brain to boost mental energy.

EAT LESS

Limit processed sugars and processed foods

Try going gluten-free for at least 3 weeks. See if you notice improvement. Many do.

SUPPLEMENTS

I try to take Carlson's Fish Oil daily. I don't know if this has any direct effect on energy, but I have read that it helps. I know that it's amongst the very best supplements that one can take for overall health. A good fish oil, such as Carslon’s is one of the best supplements you can take.

Green foods boost the body’s energy production. Many feel better by starting the day with a green drink. Green Magma is a great one.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

B Complex

Eleuthero is a relative of ginseng, that’s proven to keep you going. This herb gives people mental stamina in situations that would normally burn them right out.

800 mg- 2 or 3 grams daily of dried eleuthero to aid concentration

Rhodiola rosea is an excellent addition to any stress-reduction program – along with exercise, daily meditation, prayer, more rest, a healthy diet, and specific supplements

• Increases energy

• Alleviates depression

• Helps with weight loss

• Relieves mental and physical fatigue

• Improves function of the thyroid, thymus, and adrenal glands

• Helps chemotherapy patients deal with depletion and exhaustion

• Stimulates brain chemical production – norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin – which all help you think and feel better

• Improves sleep

• Improves mental alertness

• Improves short-term memory

• Enhances weight loss

Reduces heart palpitations

A group of male doctors were given 170 mg of R. Rosea extract just one a day for 2 weeks. They had a great reduction in fatigue compared with doctors who took a placebo

Chemotherapy often leads to depletion and exhaustion.

150 mg of R. rosea extract twice a day can help relieve fatigue and normalize red and white blood cells

The amount of Rhodiola you need to take is not critical.

High or low amounts of this her both work.

Not all Rhodiola supplements are equally effective.

Any Rhodiola you buy should be standardized extract and say Rhodiola roesa on the label.

Nature’s Way

Planetary Formulas

HerbPharm

American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius)/Panax Ginseng:

Fewer tension-related aches and pains

Feeling more happiness

Better blood sugar control

Deeper sleep

Boost in brainpower

Heightens energy

Nourishes the entire Central Nervous System, helping it cope with changes in cortisol, estrogen, progesterone and other troublemaking hormones.

100-600 mg daily

Cancer patients who took 1000 mg daily for 8 weeks reported energy levels that were twice as high as those on a placebo.

Or ask your herbalist for a formula that combines all three of the above.

OTHER TIPS

Healthy lifestyle changes:

• exercise regularly – an outdoor walk helps immensely. Being outdoors is energizing. Do what you like, what you enjoy. For overall energy, the best are anything outdoors, rebounding, and yoga.

• sleep well

• manage your stress

• Having a thankful heart and positive attitude

• Avoiding negative thinking and complaining

Loss of energy is one of the many symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Daily Rebounding

• Deep Breathing every day

• Dry Body Brushing every day - either before showering OR before exercise, whichever comes first

• Massage and/or Reflexology

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve symptoms of fatigue. There are specific yoga poses that help deal with fatigue.

Don’t exercise within 2 hours of when you plan to sleep.

Acupuncture is a great way to relieve stress and improve function. Most people say they feel calm yet energized after acupuncture.

A bad mood can sap your energy because it keeps your mind busy ruminating. Substituting thoughts about what you have in your life, as opposed to what's missing, can help reverse the negative spiral.

Slap on a smile. Apply some bright lipstick. Wear a crisp, clean outfit instead of baggy sweats. If you fake energy until you feel it, soon enough your body will catch on.

The same ol' same ol' is more than boring -- it's an energy drain. Even small changes -- like taking an alternate route to work or making that morning jog an afternoon swim -- can make a difference.

Deep breathing is essential. Your lungs may hold an important clue to lagging energy, because fatigue is caused by a deficiency of oxygen in the cells. This is why if you have difficulty concentrating or suffer from fatigue, the first step for you to take could be taking a few deep breaths.

Frequent yawning or sighing can mean you need more oxygen.

Of all our organs, our lungs are the only ones we can control with our will. Your heart beats on its own. Our liver performs hundreds of different functions whenever they’re needed. But we can consciously fill our lungs with full breaths of air for increased energy or breathe slowly to calm ourselves down. Still, few of us breathe consciously. Take more control of your breath. It can directly affect your health and energy.

Clutter is a great big drag on your energy -- and not just because of all the stuff taking up space. So much of what ends up as clutter are tasks that we haven't finished or obligations we haven't been able to meet.

If it's time for a real workout, but you're dragging, -- researchers have found that matching the tempo of a workout to music with a strong, fast beat can increase one's capacity for exercise by 15 percent. Choose songs with 120 to 140 beats per minute (the norm for most pop and rock songs). "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas, for instance, clocks in at 128 beats per minute.

The exercise-and-energy equation goes like this: The more active you are, the better your circulation. And the better your circulation, the easier it is for blood to transport oxygen and nutrients (fuel for the cells) to your muscles and brain. So take a walk. A brisk, 10-minute walk is enough to boost your energy level for up to two hours.

GOOD BOOKS TO LOOK INTO

Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again by Dr. Frank Lipman

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

The Anti-Cancer Book is THE best overall health book for everyone – not just for those who are concerned about cancer

456 Rules by Dr. Nan Fuchs

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross

TO GIVE INSTANT ENERGY

Brush your teeth when you feel tired. The minty-fresh feeling may help wake you up.

Drink a glass of water. Dehydration is often related to fatigue. I try to drink 1 glass of water upon waking up and after each bathroom trip. I stop drinking an hour or so before leaving the house. I also stop drinking around 6 or 7 PM at night.

Jumping Jacks

Walk around the block

Lie on bed with your head hanging off if you KWIM. Get all the blood circulating to your head.

Rinse for as long as you can tolerate in the coldest water that you can tolerate. Feels really good when the cold is on your back and spine. I would often jump in for a quick shower when I was tired during my student years. You can also alternate between hot/warm and ice cold.

Dunk your wrists in a bowl of water with ice cubes OR run them under a very cold faucet.

Peppermint oil-infused air reduces fatigue. Inhaling peppermint causes capillaries to constrict and then dilate, sending a rush of blood through the body, and, as a result, a rush of energizing oxygen.

Listening to whatever music you love

1 spoon of honey – honey will give you energy quickly and keep it there

POSSIBLE IODINE DEFICIENCY

Today's environment makes it almost impossible to get the amount of iodine you need.

First of all, there's very little iodine in the soil. So unless you're eating a ton of iodine-rich foods like kelp, seaweed and shellfish, you're not going to get much iodine from your diet.

Second, many salt companies have stopped adding iodine to table salt.

Third, food manufacturers have stopped using iodine in baked goods and are using bromine instead. Bromine competes with iodine to get into your cells. So the more bromine you consume, the less iodine you get. Unfortunately, many foods today (primarily baked goods) are loaded with bromine.

Fourth, our water supply contains chlorine and fluoride, both which compete with iodine to get into your cells.

And you can't avoid chlorine and fluoride simply by drinking filtered water. That's because you get a hefty dose any time you bathe, shower, soak in a hot tub, or swim in a swimming pool.

Fifth, most conventional doctors never test for iodine deficiency. They figure there's no need to test iodine levels when they can just test your thyroid function instead.

The problem with this is that the most widely used thyroid test, the TSH, is wildly inaccurate. Reason: While the TSH measures thyroid hormone, it can't tell the difference between active thyroid hormone with iodine and de-activated thyroid hormone with bromine or chlorine or fluorine! So the test shows you have plenty of thyroid hormone. But most of the thyroid hormone isn't doing its job!

Dr. Nan Fuchs wrote: I've had women come into my office who look like the poster child for underactive thyroid. They're overweight, they're losing their hair and eyebrows, their skin is dry, and they tell me they feel cold all the time. Yet when their doctor gave them a thyroid test, it came back normal!

When I put these women on iodine supplementation, their conditions improve dramatically. Their skin improves, they stop losing their hair, and they finally lose that excess weight — and keep it off.

Correcting an iodine deficiency also provides a whole host of other health benefits, including fighting fatigue and giving you greater energy

You may need 1 to 4 tablets of Ioderal, a combination of 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of potassium iodide. Additional research finds that vitamin C improves the transport of iodine in the body. Take 1000-3000 mg of vitamin C daily.

Start off slowly over about 4-6wk period. 1 pill for 30 days

Then 2 for 30 days

Then maybe 3 for 30 days

Then 1 in morning and 1 in evening for 30 days

Can then go back to taking 1 or 2 a day to maintain

Your body will know....listen to it...

One Iodoral tablet provides 12.5 milligrams of iodine/iodide which is about the amount the average Japanese consumed in 1964 in their everyday diet.

I take Iodoral and love it. :)