Menu

Field Trips for Little One's

genny

I would like to make of list of fun outing's for me and the kids to go on this school year... I'm so not good at coming up with ideas... help!!!:lol:

What I have so far....

nature walks

Museum

Science Centre

Art Gallery

Farm

Zoo

Library

What is available in your area specifically? You might ask seasoned homeschoolers in your area. For example there is a maple syrup farm and a llama farm in our county. My boys love seeing things like the county court house and historical society stuff. There are caves, pioneer villages, a canal, train rides, boat rides, etc. within a reasonable drive. You might gather visitor information from your state.

Recitals at the local university (professional performers as well as students)

Plays

Children's Museums

We tie in our outings to go with our FIAR books if possible (ie, Ping = visiting a park with ducks and observing them in their habitat one day this week, and on Saturday, we go hiking on trails near the nearest river).

Bowling

Skating

Camping

I hope this list grows, I'd love to get more ideas!

Get together with a few other families with little ones and arrange a "group school tour":

- visit a fire station

- tour a factory or big facility (bottling plant; dairy; food processing plant; etc.)

- tour a local store that has a "process" (bakery; donut shop; popcorn store; etc.)

- behind the scenes tour of the post office

- attend a local history reenactment event or student day at the Renaissance Festival

- arrange to visit a local "band" or "musical instrument supply" store and have them demonstrate instruments

- some hospitals have a special young children's tour with a "teddy bear clinic" -- show how they take x-rays, put on a plaster cast, etc. using a stuffed toy to demo on

Check out your local symphony, or the theater department at your local university or community college -- sometimes they have special "young audience" performances scheduled during the year.

Make an arts and crafts item, Lego creation, or bake something and enter it into your county fair; then go to the fair and see your entered item and check out the rest of the fair.

Get a small group of other homeschoolers together once a month and invite in a special guest speaker -- someone from a foreign country; a history re-enactor; member of the local rock hound group or lapidairy club bring in rocks; a musician who can demonstrate a variety of instruments; have a presentation day where each student "shows and tells" a report; etc.

Edited by Lori D.

On the list so far for this coming year,

September: Corn festival, apple orchard to pick apples and a small petting zoo (they have lions and bears and such that you do not pet, but then the whole center is set up with farm animals and you can go into each enclosure and pet them.

October: Halloween festival (same place as corn festival but different things to see and do), Nature center, fire hall

November: Aviation museum, and possibly newpaper (we have done ones at both a place that prints them, and at the newpaper office where the kids talked to reporters and such, they have enjoyed both so debating if we will do them again).

December: Art Gallery, Muttart

Other ideas on my list include: zoo, science center, fort Ed, camping, fishing, other festivals and such as they come up, symphony and/or play (depends if we get a good deal on tickets). I took my kids to the children's symphony a few years back to see the snowman and they loved it. We also have been to see "Love according to John" and I hope to get them out to see another performance. I am thinking of asking for tickets to go see the nutcracker as our xmas gift this year.

We have weekly visits to the library, nature walks, sledding in winter etc. But the bigger trips are planned more. I hope to have at least 2 per month. Some are around my town, most are within a 2 hour drive, some like the corn festival are closer to 2.5 hrs away.