Menu

Latin for 7th grader w/ no prior Latin experience?

I think I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with this decision. DS12.5 wants to study Latin, which is great except that I never studied it (though I did study French [3 years in high school], Spanish [2 years in college] and Chinese [one college semester]).

Many of the threads posted on here assume some earlier exposure to Latin. DS has an excellent vocabulary and is voracious reader, and perhaps more importantly, he is very motivated to study Latin.

I'd read on here somewhere (perhaps one of Ester Maria's posts? ah, from this thread) that Latin for the New Millennium was a good choice, but it's a bit expensive. Also, I thought I'd read that she liked Wheelock's, but for a 12yo, I do not know if using the book would require a knowledgeable teacher.

I did look up the book on amazon, and reading one of the reviews, I'm left uncertain that this is a good course. That review links to a site from a professor who recommends Lingua Latina.

But then, LL doesn't have enough grammar?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Has anyone here used Latin for the New Millennium? Or, if I were to choose Lingua Latina, should I have an accompanying, grammar-based program, too?

I do have GSWL, and was planning to start that one with both ds12 and dd10. I just don't know where to go from there.

Any advice on this?

Memoria Press recommends starting with First Form Latin instead of LC with a child that age. My 6th grader has no prior Latin experience and jumped right into First Form Latin. It even starts with pronunciation. It's meant to start with children who have no prior experience.

Then they switched since I asked them at the 2009 TWTM conference. Very possible! At that point they didn't have the DVD's for First Form yet, though.