Menu

What to use for Science for kids who are not science minded?

I would love some suggestions on what to use for kids who are more dance/arts/language arts oriented. I would love to hear what others have used besides Apologia. We have the Apologia material and it does not click with my students. It's to hard for them to understand. I need biology and pysical science recommendations. Of course will consider other areas of science as well since I don't think we are locked into the basic college bound science courses.

Thanks so much!

There have been a lot of threads in the past year or so looking specifically for Chemistry for the non-science/non-math student; in this past thread I linked a lot of those threads. Other non-Apologia Chemistry options are offered in this thread and in this thread.

Alternatives to consider instead of the traditional biology-chemistry-physics classes:

- Physical Science

- Environmental Science

- Zoology

- Astronomy

- Botany

- Geology

- Forensic Science

- Ecology

- Aviation and Space

- Meteorology (weather)

And here are some past threads with specific program ideas for non-traditional science sequence:

Science for the non-science kid

Science 101 series from Smithsonian

For all the science-hating kids

High school science for my DS (info on CLP's Horticulture course)

Environmental Science?

Environmental Science -- how does this look?

Suggestions for General Science or Earth Science

Would like to study Earth Science...

Teaching Company science courses and other sources for science videos

Know of any homeschool-friendly forensics

Forensic Science text

High school Forensic Science

Zoology and Astronomy recommendations

Hi Bizzymomof5! :)

I have six daughters who are all language/dance/art oriented too! My oldest dd is an art/English major, with psychology and photography minors. My 16yo wants to be a graphic designer/animator, and four of the girls dance ballet- two in a preprofessional company, so I am with you!! :)

Some of the girls have enjoyed the Apologia at the younger levels, but I keep coming back to Abeka for them. The texts are wonderful- informative, yet easy to understand and colorful. I find that with all this creative brain stuff going on, they can use the structure of a very organized text ....with pretty pictures :) I think it helps develop their logical thinking skills to read the sections (which are predicatable), and answer the questions daily. Quizzes on a regular basis- tests very expected. Anyway, that's what I'm using with them-- I hope you find what works best for your bunch!!! {{{}}}}

Theresa

Conceptual Chemistry has little math; it's written for a college liberal arts science credit, but is very good at teaching the conceptual aspect of Chem, which is a lot. The table of contents was enough for my dd to be able to bypass Chem when she ended up transferring to the public school so that she can take Honours Physics (my dd likes math and is more math/science oriented but did this text as her first Chem course; she got her Chem math via her labs which weren't the ones from the lab manual that goes with this.)

Conceptual Chemistry has little math; it's written for a college liberal arts science credit, but is very good at teaching the conceptual aspect of Chem

I will add that, having just completed Conceptual Chemistry with my math-struggler DS, while it is true that CC doesn't have much math -- there are about 4 chapters in the first halfe of the book on atomic structure, chemical reactions, oxidation/reduction that were *stout* for US to get through! Those are just very complex concepts!

Where would I find Conceptual Chemistry? Is this something she can do in her own?

Thanks for the help.

If you need something completely solo, I'd suggest something like:

- outsourcing at a community college or local high school chemistry class

- Spectrum Chemistry

- BJUP distance learning Chemistry

As far as can DD do CC on her own... Hard to say... It is a textbook, so you would have to make the assignments, be able to answer any questions, and you would have to come up with labs and quizzes/tests. There is no teacher manual, but I used the questions from each end-of-chapter review (which DO include answers in our 2nd edition version) and made our own quizzes/tests. CC is available at Amazon.com or through the publisher, Pearson, or you can find used editions through Amazon's used books; ebay; http://www.half.com; http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com; or the sale/swap board here or at the homeschool forum on http://www.vegsource.com.

There is a companion website which has helpful short instructional videos, worksheets, and additional teacher resources. When we did CC this past year, we were using the c. 2004 2nd edition version; the most recent edition is c. 2010 and is ed. 4 and that is what the website videos and resources are matched up to.

There is now a matching lab manual and student activity guide, too, though you would have to research and find the equipment/supplies yourself. We used experiments from various TOPS units to match up with the chapters to make our lab component.

In case it is of any help, below is the TOPS unit match up with our c. 2002 2nd ed. Conceptual Chemistry. BEST of luck in finding the best chemistry match for your DD! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Conceptual Chemistry (2nd ed.) and TOPS unit match-up:

- chapter 1 = can use TOPS #14 Kinetic Model, experiments #1-13

- chapter 2 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #1-4 AND TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #1-5

- chapter 3 = -----

- chapter 4 = -----

- chapter 5 = -----

- chapter 6 = can use TOPS #13 Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #5-6

- chapter 7 = can use TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #14-28

- chapter 8 = can use TOPS #12 Solution, experiment #17 AND TOPS #13 Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #1-12; 15; 21-24

- chapter 9 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #5-8

- chapter 10 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #9-16

- chapter 11 = can use TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #10-13 AND TOPS #11 Oxidation, experiments #1-16

- chapter 12-19 = -----

Edited by Lori D.
added links

We're using Nutrition 101: Choose Life and The Anatomy Coloring Book for Anatomy and Health education credits for my arts oriented daughter. The Anatomy Coloring Book is often used by med and pre-med students to help them with memorization of the various body parts. We are planning on incorporating art and research projects throughout the year aimed at body systems in addition to first aid and CPR training. It will be part science, part health, part home economics(meal planning, shopping and cooking) though I'm not yet sure exactly how we'll distribute the credits.

[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
Every body have its own interest. If any kid is not having interest in science, do not force him. Just encourage them to towards their interest. It is a well known thing, it is easy to get success in the field of your interest. I am sure they will work well.

In the US & Canada most universities/colleges want to see that students have done science in high school, even homeschoolers.