Menu

Resources to Cultivate Math Talent in Kindergartener

Purple Cat

I unofficially started homeschooling my kindergarter twins this summer. My daughter appears to be extremely talented in math, and want to cultivate her talent. She is a few pages from finishing Year 1 of MEP, and has an amazing comprehension and facility with math. I welcome resources and ideas for helping her develop this talent.

MEP is a great program.

Miquon is very interesting (and I found the teacher recourses invaluable)

Primary Mathematics (Singapore) is a very strong program.

Liping Ma's book Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics is a must read IMO.

The RightStart Game set could be especially good with twins.

Elementary Mathematics for Teachers by Parker and Baldridge is a great resource for learning about whole-parts math.

Activities for AL Abacus gives one a good look at the Right Start way of teaching math. The early emphasis on place value is spot-on IMO.

I have not used the Kitchen Table Math books from Art of Problem solving but I wish I had them.

There is a Living Math website that lists a lot of math oriented story books. The Anno books Stripe mentioned are favorites of ours.

Bill

Seconding the Family Math suggestion. We've been using it with my 5+ year old (almost 6) and it's gone very well.

I like to think of developing math skills, like literature or art or most subjects, as developing the ability to both produce and to consume/appreciate math; sort of like Math Studio and Math History/Appreciation. On the appreciation front I've liked the Living Math Bill mentioned; the math readers suggested have gone over esp. well.

If she is interested, you might want to cultivate science in tandem; the content, esp. of astronomy and physics, reinforces math concepts and provides substance to the theory. Snap Circuits, perhaps particularly the green kits, might be a good addition; or biology, earth science, etc. ... If she enjoys art, you can look on Amazon for mathematically-inclined art project books. The crossovers between math and other subjects can be a lot of fun.

Edited by serendipitous journey