Menu

Math Mammoth 1A and 1B

JessieC

I just got my my Math Mammoth 1A and 1B volumes and now need to plan out how we'll use them. Would you go all the way through 1A and then move on to 1B? Some people have mentioned that they move back and forth--if you do this, how does it work? A couple of pages in 1A one day and in 1B the next? TIA!

Read the "forward". It will tell you what you can do out of order. At that level, I don't think you'd gain much by doing it out of order. 1A focuses on learning facts. Time and measurement are in 1B, right? Those are the ones people sometimes like to review more (i haven't needed to), but I think it would be grade 2 that you'd start that if you need to.

I believe most people go through all of 1A before doing 1B, although if the child gets stuck on a concept you can go to certain topics like time or geometry, do that, and come back and usually the child has gotten past the mental block.

:iagree: MOST people go straight thru, but it's not required. :D I've reordered math a lot. My reasons:

1) Got stuck on something

2) Getting tedious and meeting resistance

3) need to accelerate when dc inhaling math

For (1), I move to a different chapter/subject and just do a few of the "confusing type" problems each day, unless it's really bad then I take a couple weeks off then reintroduce the sticky stuff.

For (2), move to different subject/chapter. If we're doing a "boring" chapter, I've also done it 3x a week and other chapters 2x a week (or one day of math games).

(3): DD#1 found math concepts/abstraction easy, so rather than speed thru, I would hold her to one lesson a day of arithmetic and add lessons from other chapters. At one point, she was doing 4-5 math lessons a day (still less than an hour a day), all from different disciplines. I went thru her math book and developed 4 separate strands that could be done simultaneously.

My son is fascinated with clocks and money so he really wanted to learn some of that stuff. We mix up MM 1A, 1B and a little 2A.

We did the Addition/Subtraction stuff in order - did a couple pages addition and a couple pages subtraction each day, then when they were done we did a couple pages of the combined addition/subtraction stuff. Now we are about to start the Addition/Subtraction 0-100 in 1B. We'll continue to work through the Addition/Subtraction then Multiplication/Division stuff in order.

At the same time as the above we've been working on the Place Value, Clock, Shapes/Measuring and Coins chapters. Clocks is the one where we are almost to 2A.

We school 4 days a week:

Monday we do 2 pages of Addition/Subtraction, 2 pages of Place Value

Tuesday we do 2 pages of Add/Sub, 1 page clock, 1 page Shapes/Measuring

Wednesday we do 2 pages Add/Sub, 2 pages of Place Value

Thursday we do 2 pages Add/Sub, 1 page coins, 1 page Place Value.

We school 4 days a week:

Monday we do 2 pages of Addition/Subtraction, 2 pages of Place Value

Tuesday we do 2 pages of Add/Sub, 1 page clock, 1 page Shapes/Measuring

Wednesday we do 2 pages Add/Sub, 2 pages of Place Value

Thursday we do 2 pages Add/Sub, 1 page coins, 1 page Place Value.

Wow, that's impressive! Just to give a variety of responses, my ds would never be able to sit still for that much math time. We only do 1 page per day and even that is a stretch to complete some days. I think Maria recommends 1.5 pages per day but we usually can't even do that, but we school year round so it is working out.

Math is definitely my son's "thing". He taught himself to skip count from some number lines I put up, he figured out counting to 100 on his own. He's fascinated with time and wants to know what time everything is happening and how long it's going to take. He has a similar fascination with money (don't most kids have that one though?). I will say that he does not care for the Shapes/Measuring chapter. He will not do more than one page of that and at least half the time won't finish the one page.

I don't make him do all the writing for math. He will tell me the answer and I will write it for him.

Wow, that's impressive! Just to give a variety of responses, my ds would never be able to sit still for that much math time. We only do 1 page per day and even that is a stretch to complete some days. I think Maria recommends 1.5 pages per day but we usually can't even do that, but we school year round so it is working out.

Same here. My guy is happiest with 1ish page a day. Usually we just do 1 but his preference is for LA so we spend extra time there while progressing slow and steady through math. It can be frustrating when he has the knowledge and skill to move faster, just not the inner drive that he has with writing, for example.

Oh, and we are just going straight through 1A. But I like dottianna's plan and would probably do something like that if DS was more math inclined.