Menu

Schoolaid Climbing to Good English

Hunter

I just got in Climbing to Good English 2 and 3. I was interested in the respelling and dictionary exercises, and the instructions on handwritten letters. They are what I was hoping for, in these topics, and I am pleased.

I'm kind of curious about the series as a whole.

I see a bit of spelling in the workbooks and I think I remember a bit of spelling in the Pathway workbooks. Is that all the spelling the Amish children receive?

The comp and grammar looks adequate, but I have better in other books.

I sat down and read the entire grade 2 workbook last night, and completed a good chunk of it. I couldn't sleep :-0 I finally started to get sleepy after starting grade 3.

I'm more impressed with the workbooks after getting a better look at them. There is more spelling than I thought. It just isn't familiar looking word lists. The spelling rules are presented like grammar rules. I wonder if teachers ever turn the lessons into spelling tests.

This is our third year using Climbing... Ds has used it previously for 1st and 2nd. It is actually sneakily thorough;). We are going to start this year using the words in the box (there is usually a phonetic rule or grammar rule) for spelling. It's not teacher intensive or student intensive. He does 1 page a day. And there is quite a bit of review. And he actually likes the workbook. Good luck with your choice.

Every time I looked at CTGE samples , I thought they look so boring ... I decided to try it since I needed a workbook and it was so affordable . I am very impressed with grade 2. It is very similar to R&S but easier to use . My 1st grader does great with it and it has improved his language ( he has speech delay & other issues but advanced in reading/spelling ) as well as his composition skills. I think the spelling is adequate for my 1st gr but probably not enough 2nd&up. We also use Pathways Readers because they are great for comprehension .The workbooks have some spelling . They are meant to be used in combination w/CTGE for a complete LA program.

We also use Pathways Readers because they are great for comprehension .The workbooks have some spelling . They are meant to be used in combination w/CTGE for a complete LA program.

So the spelling is kind of spread out between the two in a "sneakily thorough" fashion?

So the spelling is kind of spread out between the two in a "sneakily thorough" fashion?

Not sure what "sneakily thorough" means . English is my 3rd language :D

As you could see , the spelling is not a list like most spelling curriculums have . It is more integrated , kind of the same way I was schooled in Europe . We never did spelling as a subject , it was more of a CM approach ( copywork, learning the phonograms , dictation ) . It the best way to learn spelling,unlike a list of words. I think CTGE is a great program . I wish it was more appealing to the eyes though :) I don't like the fonts or something ... but my dc doesn't complain .

You can see samples here and at Rainbow Resource.

Topics are covered that are not labeled in a way that I expect them to be covered. It's only as I do a lesson, that I realize the workbook isn't nearly as haphazard as I thought when skimming it. It is actually sometimes ingeniously organized.

A friend of mine and I are now fighting over book 3. She took book 3 to work with her yesterday to study the letter writing section and thought she would have complete access to it till she finished her letter. But I went and started the workbook at about 3:00 in the morning. I could use something else, but I want to use THIS book today and it is MINE! :-)