Menu

Elemental Science: Where is the...?

desertmum

I bought and downloaded Elemental Science "Intro to Science" for my 5yo. I was really happy with it and was planning to use it as my spine until I went through the entire schedule and saw it didn't include a section of human biology. Nothing about the 5 senses and the whole thing about eating right, what is alive, and what isn't. etc.

Does this curriculum assume you have taught all this material previously? If not,what do I do? Do I simply teach it as I can before starting with Lesson 1 of Intro to Science? I am simply very confused. :confused:

I haven't used Intro to Science but I've used other Elemental programs. You can't really have a K program that teaches everything. The Biology program which would be used in the 1st grade has a full 10 week human body unit so it probably would seem redundant to put it in the program that comes the year before.

Heather

I haven't used Intro to Science but I've used other Elemental programs. You can't really have a K program that teaches everything. The Biology program which would be used in the 1st grade has a full 10 week human body unit so it probably would seem redundant to put it in the program that comes the year before.

Heather

Bad news for me then. I am following the UK National Curriculum (loosely) and the human body unit is included, but not some of the stuff in Intro to Science. My ds is quite passionate about the "human body" (he's got like 5 books or more and "reads" them over and over) so there is no way I can skip this part. Is the biology program for 1st grade too difficult for K?

If you're wanting to add it in, I would just get the My Body book by Teacher Created Resources --it's really cheap from RR--(where you trace their body on a large piece of paper and then color each body part and add it to the outline) along with the Let's Read and Find Out science books (at most libraries). The LRFO books have a picture book to cover each of the body systems and my K/1st graders LOVED them.

If you're wanting to add it in, I would just get the My Body book by Teacher Created Resources --it's really cheap from RR--(where you trace their body on a large piece of paper and then color each body part and add it to the outline) along with the Let's Read and Find Out science books (at most libraries). The LRFO books have a picture book to cover each of the body systems and my K/1st graders LOVED them.

Good suggestions. I have something similar to the Teacher Created Resources (Scholastic Curriculum Bank for Science -lesson plans). It does have a printable of a human body. I'll see if I can find LRFO books too.

Thanks for the help. :001_smile:

Bad news for me then. I am following the UK National Curriculum (loosely) and the human body unit is included, but not some of the stuff in Intro to Science. My ds is quite passionate about the "human body" (he's got like 5 books or more and "reads" them over and over) so there is no way I can skip this part. Is the biology program for 1st grade too difficult for K?

In my world, this would be enough. I'm amazed at how much more knowledge my kids pick up when they passionately read (or are read to) about subjects of interest. What more are you hoping to add? Maybe check out Janice van Cleave's human body book and do a few of the activities, but it doesn't seem like there would be much more to add other than that.

In my world, this would be enough. I'm amazed at how much more knowledge my kids pick up when they passionately read (or are read to) about subjects of interest. What more are you hoping to add? Maybe check out Janice van Cleave's human body book and do a few of the activities, but it doesn't seem like there would be much more to add other than that.

:iagree: What your son is reading now is probably more than they actually do in at this stage in the UK schools, isn't it? Looking at a list of standards is very different from looking at what the classroom actually does. At that level, it's all going to be very simple. The standards may look impressive, but they aren't really. It's like math - they'll mention doing "algebra" in 1st grade standards. Sounds impressive, right? They're just missing addend problems though - 3 + ___ = 5.

:iagree: What your son is reading now is probably more than they actually do in at this stage in the UK schools, isn't it? Looking at a list of standards is very different from looking at what the classroom actually does. At that level, it's all going to be very simple. The standards may look impressive, but they aren't really. It's like math - they'll mention doing "algebra" in 1st grade standards. Sounds impressive, right? They're just missing addend problems though - 3 + ___ = 5.

Yes. Ds is "reading" things which are quite advanced. By "reading" I mean "being read to". But you are right. I downloaded some info about the standards and they sound intimidating to say the least. I am just not used to teacher's lingo I guess.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/little_otters_science/little_otters_science.html

Have you checked out Little Otter Science curriculum? It is free and sounds like it would fit your needs very well. Link above...

Thank you so much for the link. :) I don't have access to most of th books but I have an idea how things are scheduled and work from there.

I am considering doing the biology part first and then proceed with the rest of Intro to Science. I don't know if we can do everything in one year! :willy_nilly:

FYI the human body book is also available as a download from Currclick (if you decide you want it and want it now! :-))

I went to curriclick and I saw so many books about the human body. I'm not sure which one was the one you meant but I saw tons of different ones!