Menu

math help

my oldest (11 years old going in 6th grade) is being placed in the "low" class at school. saxon math 7/6 for 6th grade. we are not overly thrilled with the placement nor the fact that the teacher is a first year no teaching degree math teacher (which frankly if i am sending him to private school i expect a qualified teacher, not just another teachers husband who needs a job). so i want to get him back to path for pre-algebra next year and algebra in 9th grade. do you have any suggested supplementation or know of any books or online programs that would help me figure out what his issues are? 94% of his problems are working too quickly and trying to be first to turn work in vs not knowing what he was doing on his papers last year. when we would look over them later he would be like "oh yeah, i missed that" so anyway we are frustrated and trying to get prepared for the year before it even starts!

I am using Lials Basic Math for Pre Algebra with my dd and Lials Beginning Alg. for my 15yo. It is working great as a supplement. My dd is using her book faster. I work the questions very quickly and we pick odd questions. Those answers are all in the book. I did tons of research on what everyone was using and this had great reviews. They are college level..but I read that makes it better since they dont assume teacher is teaching the material.

It is a lot easier to use along with school books and the work is explained very well in the text. I have heard lots of positive.

Here is the free online section that you can use along with it... http://interactmath.com/home.aspx

The pre algebra book is Lial's Basic College Math. The Algebra is Lial's Beginning Alg. 10e

I found them on Amazon for super cheap. YOu have to really check the descriptions prior to ordering since several are the wrong books. I paid like $5 for the prealgebra. and $23 for alg.

my oldest (11 years old going in 6th grade) is being placed in the "low" class at school. saxon math 7/6 for 6th grade. so i want to get him back to path for pre-algebra next year and algebra in 9th grade.

:confused:

Don't understand the problem: He is on track. If he takes Saxon 7/6 in 6th grade, then Saxon 8/7 (prealgebra) in 7th grade, he is ready for algebra in 8th.

If you want prealgebra in 6th grade, what would he do for 7th and 8th if you want algebra in 9th???

thanks for all the advice. i realize that 7/6 is technically grade level but his school "accelerated" math and views 7/6 as the lower class. ie: the class of 27 only 7 are in 7/6 the rest are in 8/7. and will track accordingly. i want to do additional work at home to try and catch him up in hopes of getting back on the track that the school generally prefers. i know the worst case scenario here is that he takes algebra in 9th instead of 8th which is not really that big of a problem in the first place but i know he is capable of more.