Menu

Sign Language, is it considered a language...?

Do colleges consider Sign Language a language? I have been thinking of taking sign language because for some reason I just can't learn another language, like spanish for example. But I am excellent at sign language, I can do anything with this language. I haven't really studied a lot of it out of fear that colleges won't accept sign language as a language, but now I am heavily considering this option. My friend used to know someone who learned sign language and became an interpreter for her. It was so cool!

But would a college accept this? Some people don't think they will.:bigear:

TIA!!

Some do, some don't. You will have to check on a school-by-school basis. This document (although 7 years old ) may give you a start -- there is also contact information on it, which may help you find more recent material.

Sounds like you are considering your familiarity of sign language as a job possiblity; I have read of high school student who gained interpreter fluency during high school, and went on to pay for her college education in another area through freelance interpreter jobs. Most likely, you would need to take a few classes and pass specific certification tests in order to work as an ASL interpreter.

If you are interested in a career as an interpreter, the US Gov't. Bureau of Labor puts out a very helpful "Occupational Outlook Handbook", which lists a huge assortment of specific careers, describes them, lists education required, and also lists whether or not jobs in that career area are on the rise or fall. Here is the specific page for interpreters and translators; sign language (ASL) interpreters are mentioned in this article. You may also find this article of interest; it is by someone who currently works in the field, but what is esp. interesting is the idea of freelancing via a media feed, so you can interpret from your location to a spot anywhere in the world!

BEST of luck as you investigate! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Some do, some don't. You will have to check on a school-by-school basis. This document (although 7 years old ) may give you a start -- there is also contact information on it, which may help you find more recent material.

Sounds like you are considering your familiarity of sign language as a job possiblity; I have read of high school student who gained interpreter fluency during high school, and went on to pay for her college education in another area through freelance interpreter jobs. Most likely, you would need to take a few classes and pass specific certification tests in order to work as an ASL interpreter.

If you are interested in a career as an interpreter, the US Gov't. Bureau of Labor puts out a very helpful "Occupational Outlook Handbook", which lists a huge assortment of specific careers, describes them, lists education required, and also lists whether or not jobs in that career area are on the rise or fall. Here is the specific page for interpreters and translators; sign language (ASL) interpreters are mentioned in this article. You may also find this article of interest; it is by someone who currently works in the field, but what is esp. interesting is the idea of freelancing via a media feed, so you can interpret from your location to a spot anywhere in the world!

BEST of luck as you investigate! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you so much Lori D! You have given me some great information about sign language and yes I ma considering it as a job possibility, especially if it will help me pay for college. I just like helping people understand one another, and since I cannot do that through any other language, I thought that sign language would be a good place to start.

The articles are awesome and I am glad you showed them to me, this is great, thank you again!!:)

"Sign Language" is a blanket term covering a whole lot of manual codes, some of which are languages and some of which aren't.

You mean ASL (American Sign Language) and yep, that is a language. :)

It is best not to plan on interpreting as a long term career. Interpreters tend to be overworked, which leads to RSI and such. It's a good way to pay your way through college though.

Another thing to consider is that there is more to interpreting than fluency in sign. I can sign, but can't interpret for peanuts. Learning to sign won't be a waste, but it is rather an investment of time and money if you intend to make money from it and find you can't, kwim?

One thing you can do is practice taking notes from the telly, paraphrasing as you go. It's not the same as translating from one language to another, but it is similar. Another thing to do is read a lot. You'd be surprised the amount of kids who want to become interpreters, but hate to read and are too shy to talk to people to gain knowledge that way. It's difficult to impossible to interpret what you don't understand.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801