Menu

Three Bears Counters ... Meh.

eloquacious

So I purchased this scale yesterday for my munchkins:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Baby-Bear-Balance/dp/B000P7MALK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313075069&sr=8-3

But of course I want the three bear family weighted bears ... with a baby and a mama and a papa in differing weights. So now that's an additional $14 for extra bears.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Rainbow-Counters-LER0744/dp/B000F8XF86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313075139&sr=8-1

Why couldn't they just sell the scale with the three bears? Oh, right. Because they know there are people like me.

If it helps at all, my kids got *years* and *years* of play/use out of our bucket balance just like that one. We used it less than I had expected for math lessons, but it was used for all *sorts* of creative play (and, incidentally, some math concepts were reinforced) over the years. :)

We only had the boring, ordinary, same-sized bears, but I'm sure the family of weighted bears would be even more fun. :)

If it helps at all, my kids got *years* and *years* of play/use out of our bucket balance just like that one. We used it less than I had expected for math lessons, but it was used for all *sorts* of creative play (and, incidentally, some math concepts were reinforced) over the years. :)

We only had the boring, ordinary, same-sized bears, but I'm sure the family of weighted bears would be even more fun. :)

:iagree:

Our bears and balance have been worth every single penny.

So I purchased this scale yesterday for my munchkins:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Baby-Bear-Balance/dp/B000P7MALK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313075069&sr=8-3

But of course I want the three bear family weighted bears ... with a baby and a mama and a papa in differing weights. So now that's an additional $14 for extra bears.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Rainbow-Counters-LER0744/dp/B000F8XF86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313075139&sr=8-1

Why couldn't they just sell the scale with the three bears? Oh, right. Because they know there are people like me.

Did you actually buy that same scale from Amazon for $23.35? In the description it says "Set includes balance plus 102 bears in six rainbow colors". The one review sounds like they got bears with theirs. I would contact Amazon.

They aren't weighted bears.

Weeeell, yes and no. They are weighted, but they only include the smallest ones (the "baby" bears). It seems so silly. If you're going to sell a package deal with a scale and weighted bears, why not include a more diverse set of bears, in all three weights?

We have that same scale and my dd loves to play with it using our Unifix blocks. I doubt she is using even close to the way it is intended.

When we use it "officially" I have a full set of weights in all different sizes so we can actually find out exactly how much something weighs.

We have that same scale and my dd loves to play with it using our Unifix blocks. I doubt she is using even close to the way it is intended.

One of my favorite early home school memories was when ds (then 3? or 4?) fashioned "hearts" from red multilink cubes and "feathers" from white ones and weighed them against each other in the bucket balance. The hearts were those of deceased pharoahs and the balance determined whether they were sinful or fit for the afterlife. The box for the bucket balance was a giant crocodile. If the hearts proved unworthy, he fed them to the crocodile. ;)

That may not have been the original intent for the balance, the box, or the cubes, but I thought it was delightful. :)

One of my favorite early home school memories was when ds (then 3? or 4?) fashioned "hearts" from red multilink cubes and "feathers" from white ones and weighed them against each other in the bucket balance. The hearts were those of deceased pharoahs and the balance determined whether they were sinful or fit for the afterlife. The box for the bucket balance was a giant crocodile. If the hearts proved unworthy, he fed them to the crocodile. ;)

That may not have been the original intent for the balance, the box, or the cubes, but I thought it was delightful. :)

That's awesome!!

That's great! :)