Menu

Need dog food suggestions for Maltese (good quality & more natural).

My mom just recently got a Maltese (1 1/2 yrs old). Other than doing a RAW diet & real food, what type of commercial food can you suggest? Something less processed, grain free & without all the fillers etc...?:)

We have started giving her filtered water and would like to have her on a good diet that will promote a healthy coat.

If you don't want to go raw I would suggest Holistic Select, Blue Buffalo, or Wellness. For my dog, I rotate between these 3 brands of dry dog food (whichever I have a coupon for) and mix it with raw. I would love to do all raw for my dog but at 75lbs that is too much for our budget.

If I see one more "Blue" commercial for 'what's in your dog food'...I think I'll be sick.. We had a maltese and she did wonderfully on Nutro Max...we got the small kibbles for dogs....we've always used NutroMax (for 3 dogs over 18 years)....never had any intestinal issues, they have stayed healthy and shiny coats..most couldn't believe our 16 year old dog was 17, she looked and acted like an 8-9 year old....I'm sold on it...our vet tried to convince us to switch to Science Diet, we tried that when our first was a pup and she wouldn't touch it...so for us, I'm sold on Nutro Max.

Orijen dry dog food is completely grain free and thought to be one of the best commercial foods available. The owner of our local pet store has visited the factory where it is processed and it is her top choice for dry dog food.

Shannon

If you don't want to go raw I would suggest Holistic Select, Blue Buffalo, or Wellness. For my dog, I rotate between these 3 brands of dry dog food (whichever I have a coupon for) and mix it with raw. I would love to do all raw for my dog but at 75lbs that is too much for our budget.

If she were mine, I would give her a RAW diet, but my mom's just not the type to do that.:001_huh: I have been reading about the Wellness and actually got her some treats in that brand.

Thanks for the ideas!

I did a lot of research on quality dog food about eleven years ago when my rescue was having . . . issues with regular food.

I learned that basically anything you buy at the grocery store is junk.

I finally settled on Avoderm bought at Petco (but I think it's at Petsmart too) and it's been great for my rescue all these years.

Plus every time I go the vet, they make a point of saying, "good, Avoderm is a good choice."

However, my dog is a Lab mix and maybe little Maltese would be better off on a smaller food.

Also, there was a dog food supposedly even better than Avoderm -- I think it was called Solid Gold -- but it was pricey for me. We were poor, but it really wasn't that much more than Avoderm.

I'd steer away from anything at the grocery.

Tell your mom that I once rescued a starving maltese off the street. And -- OMG! -- my Grizzly become part of my very heart. Awesome, awesome boy. Tell her to prepare to get ATTACHED.

Have a wonderful time. I'm jealous.

Alley