Menu

If Lials BCM is a strong pre-algebra course then why does Lials have a pre-algebra?

BCM has all the arithmetic review at the beginning and starts from a lower base. The chapters are whole numbers, fractions 1, fractions 2, decimals, ratio/proportion, percent, measurement, geometry, algebra, statistics

Pre-Algebra goes directly into some basic algebra, the chapters are integers (including negative), variables, applications, fractions, decimals, ratio/proportion, percent, measurement, graphs, exponents/polynomials.

The chapters on fractions/decimals in Pre-algebra include signed numbers as a matter of course, whereas the chapters in BCM will be strictly positive. BCM also doesn't really have work with polynomials.

Remember that these are written for college classes, so BCM would be one semester and Pre-Algebra the next. Strictly in my opinion, university students who place this low are likely to be severely math-phobic and need a gentle pace with lots of review to get started. I don't think both are necessary in middle school unless the student struggled a lot with the concepts from BCM.

I am asking because dd is doing BCM right now. I wonder if I should have gotten her pre-algebra instead. Are the concepts that are in pre-algebra but not in BCM going to hurt her when going into Algebra 1? We will be using VideoText, and module 1 is an algebra readiness so many that will make up for it?

A bit of backgroud, the reason we are doing this is because she was in Chalkdust pre-algebra last year and I thought she was doing great, but that all came crashing down in the middle of the book. She then got VERY scared of math so I wanted to try this for a bit of confidence building, KWIM?

She will finish BCM sometime this school year and start VideoText algebra.

This is a child who LOVES History and Science (weird combo, I know) but HATES math.

So in this situation, do you think you would do Lials Pre-algebra after BCM or start with VideoText after BCM?

So in this situation, do you think you would do Lials Pre-algebra after BCM or start with VideoText after BCM?

I think that if she's doing fine with BCM and your next step is Videotext, I'd stay the course. The first module (or two?) of Videotext is Pre-Algebra; it doesn't dive directly into Algebra, so I think you should be fine.

I did switch mid-year from BCM to Lial's Prealgebra, but it was because my dd was bored and restless with BCM, and needed some new material so she didn't feel like she was spinning her wheels. She's also going directly to Algebra this year without any additional Pre-Algebra.

But in your case, if your dd is math phobic and feeling reassured and confident with the BCM, and is also going to get more Pre-Algebra with Videotext, that sounds like a good plan.

Oooh, so jumping in on this thread if you don't mind, OP!

I have a math-phobic rising 8th grader with LDs. He just finished MUS Zeta, and since I am not sure he really gets it I planned to do BCM with him this coming year, then do Algebra 1 in 9th (really, though, we are on a 'do the next thing' track with this one, so we'll do Alg. 1 when he gets there regardless of grade level).

Anyway! If he does well with BCM can we just go to Algebra 1? Or is Pre-Algebra a prerequisite? I thought BCM would get us there.

Thanks! I am sure this has been discussed, but I am moving like the proverbial headless chicken today and can't think it out myself :D.

Anyway! If he does well with BCM can we just go to Algebra 1? Or is Pre-Algebra a prerequisite? I thought BCM would get us there. .

I know many, many kids have successfully used BCM as their only pre-Algebra. A kid who needed more practice (because they're young or just because they need really gradual steps) could do both BCM and Pre-Algebra, but it sounds like most kids are fine with one or the other.

I moved my dd up because it's what she needed - she'd done through Singapore 6, which some people say is enough pre-Algebra to move straight into Algebra in itself. I thought she needed a bridge year, but BCM was too far back for her. FWIW, she's going to be doing Lial's Algebra this year, and from looking at it, it looks like much of it will be review after their Prealgebra, so that's probably why it's not necessary to do their Prealgebra program first.

I know many, many kids have successfully used BCM as their only pre-Algebra. A kid who needed more practice (because they're young or just because they need really gradual steps) could do both BCM and Pre-Algebra, but it sounds like most kids are fine with one or the other.

I moved my dd up because it's what she needed - she'd done through Singapore 6, which some people say is enough pre-Algebra to move straight into Algebra in itself. I thought she needed a bridge year, but BCM was too far back for her. FWIW, she's going to be doing Lial's Algebra this year, and from looking at it, it looks like much of it will be review after their Prealgebra, so that's probably why it's not necessary to do their Prealgebra program first.

Thank you!!! :)

I am asking because dd is doing BCM right now. I wonder if I should have gotten her pre-algebra instead. Are the concepts that are in pre-algebra but not in BCM going to hurt her when going into Algebra 1? We will be using VideoText, and module 1 is an algebra readiness so many that will make up for it?

A bit of backgroud, the reason we are doing this is because she was in Chalkdust pre-algebra last year and I thought she was doing great, but that all came crashing down in the middle of the book. She then got VERY scared of math so I wanted to try this for a bit of confidence building, KWIM?

This is a child who LOVES History and Science (weird combo, I know) but HATES math.

My DD ran into trouble with CD Prealgebra last year, we took time to go back over basics using Saxon and BCM and then she will go through some of the CD she didn't do before moving to Algebra. Some of the things in the CD Prealgebra aren't even in the Jacobs Algebra I am looking over. ;)

My DD ran into trouble with CD Prealgebra last year, we took time to go back over basics using Saxon and BCM and then she will go through some of the CD she didn't do before moving to Algebra. Some of the things in the CD Prealgebra aren't even in the Jacobs Algebra I am looking over. ;)

Really?? Oh that really makes me feel better! BCM is really easy for her right now but she is JUST to the point where she is not dreading math so I am not about to touch it. We will move through it a bit faster than normal then get onto VideoText. I actually got rid of CD because she just got to the point she was in tears she hated it so much. I actually have Jacobs Algebra 1 interlibrary loaned from the library right now. I might use that for some extra supplement if needed to VideoText. I just no longer have my CD to compare it to.

There should be a warning on CD pre-algebra!