Menu

Question about Omnibus-sequence

I am intrigued by Omnibus...;)

If we were going to use it in the future, we would not use it in the right sequence...

Is there an evolution in difficulty from I-III, and from IV-VI?

Would it be possible to do :

7th - Omni III

8th - Omni I

9th - Omni II

10th - Omni VI

11th - Omni IV

12th - Omni V ???

ETA: Our older kids are all two years apart. I can't imagine doing 3 different time-periods (with Omnibus), hence my inquiry about doing them out of order...

This way we could keep working in the same period...

Thank you!!

Edited by sahm99

Have you looked at the reading list for Omnibus III? I'm doing that time period with my very strong-reading 7th grader, and I wouldn't chose to do all those books with her. Some would work, some wouldn't. Personally, given that your oldest two are just two years apart, I'd wait a year, finish out your TOG cycle, then do them both starting with Omnibus I. Or go ahead and put your oldest in the online Omnibus course and keep teaching the youngers.

Disclaimer: I own Omnibus I and II and have read many of the books in preparation but have used neither with my dc.

I was thinking of waiting for the older two to finish ToG, but that would still leave me with our third...who would then need to join somewhere in the middle...

We are planning on doing the online courses, if we decide to go the Omnibus route, but nevertheless, studying the same period would be nice.

I am really wondering, how other families with multiple children "do Omnibus"... Each their own?!?!? :confused:

ETA:

Even just putting the older two on the same track (starting the sequence together) seems unrealistic, as they are far apart in reading and analysing capabilities (age corrected).

Ds is a very, very strong reader, who would enjoy almost anything thrown his way. DD9, otoh,... I am not even sure Omnibus is an option for her, almost certainly not for 7th grade...

However I tweak it... I won't be able to have them all start with Omnibus I, and still be in the same time-period...

If it wasn't for the online classes I would just stick to TOG and not look back!!

Edited by sahm99

We stick with the same time period, but not always the same program.

I have only used I/IV from last year and read II/V to use for this year. Each year has its own challenges. Some say I is the hardest, because of the ancient literature, some say III, and I'm looking at II thinking the literature is pretty heavy.

I would suggest you cal or emaill VP. You are possibly planning to invest a large amount of money into the Omnibus program, you certainly have the right to ask some questions and chat with someone about it. Give them the specifics for each dc (age, ability level) and ask them to help you figure it out. It's worth a shot. :001_smile:

When DS was in 6th grade I noticed that many of the WTM recommended readings matched up with Omnibus 2, so we did Omnibus 2 for 6th grade. I didn't do any of the writing assignments (we use another writing program) but we did do all of the discussions and many of the other activities. (We don't do any of the Biblical book studies since we do our own Bible study.) It worked out really well.

When it came to Omnibus 3, however, I am so wedded to the WTM 4-year history cycle that I split Omni into two parts. We did most of the first semester readings in 7th grade and most of the second semester readings in 8th grade. And each year I required a bit more from DS since he was older. And using the WTM reading list, I added other books to fill-out those two years.

For this year, 9th grade, I've combined Omnibus 1 and 4, relying heavily on WTM's recommended reading list again. I don't think there's anything magical about doing a particular book in a particular year. I do think Omnibus 1-3 would be rigorous enough for high school. But I'm not sure that Omnibus 4-6 would be appropriate for middle school. And keep in mind that some of the readings do include some topics that you might not wish to cover if they are still young.

The Omni books themselves are tools. They even say at the beginning that most teachers will not cover every single text. You can choose to drop some or read others (I've pulled one or two books from TOG's reading list in addition to what we are covering for Omnibus.)

There has been some discussion about the views of the editors and particular religious perspectives. On the specifically religious texts, I pre-read the intro and discussion questions to determine whether or not that will be an issue. Sometimes we don't do those books. Sometimes it provides an opportunity for discussion about how our beliefs differ.

Blessings!

I am really wondering, how other families with multiple children "do Omnibus"... Each their own?!?!? :confused:

My kids are spaced too far apart for this to be much of an issue. We keep everyone in the same time period, but DS is doing Omnibus (and since we read SOTW during lunch I guess he sort of does that too, but that's not his history) and DD does SOTW with suggested books from the the Activity Guide or WTM list.

There might be something to be said for having an older student in Omnibus and a younger student reading some of the same stories in a simpler version. That way discussions could still take place together and you don't have to tinker quite so much to make something fit that really doesn't.

Thank you for your answers!!

I called VP earlier and they confirmed that I-III and IV-VI could be used in any order, as long as we respected the age suggestions (logic vs. dialectic).

Now we just need to decide to jump ship and change our four year history cycle to three years...

I would still use SOTW and TOG for the younger kids, so that would mean a lot of tweeking...:001_huh:

I need to sleep on this...