Menu

Papers... Bills... Pay stubs...

I really hate holding on to any of them!

I try to keep bills for the year that I received them and am shredding anything prior to 2011...

I wonder, though, why keep pay stubs longer than a month or two?

Anyone? I am thinking of general bills being shredded every 3 months...

Any input? What do you do?

Unless it's business related, it's gone the next billing cycle when payment appears on the new bill - they obviously got the payment if it was credited, right? So why keep it?

Add to that, almost anything and everything is available online now - credit card statements, banking statements, regular bills like water, gas, electric - I pay almost everything online (except for the two hold out companies that are local and won't invest in the technology to let me do it!) and once it's credited, if I have a paper copy, it gets tossed (unless I need it for a business expense).

Pay stubs - no need to keep 'em. You got paid, your check cleared, you'll get another the next cycle with the updated information, right?

Honestly, unless I need it for the accountant, I don't keep it. If I do need to keep it, it gets tossed in the big box that says "accountant" on the side that sits in the corner of my office and gets handed to him end of year.

So, you might wonder, what do I keep?

Disability insurance premiums paid - I keep those records until the next billing cycle and payment.

Life insurance premiums paid - I keep those too until the next billing cycle.

Car insurance premiums paid - I keep that one until the next billing cycle even though I probably don't need to.

Medical claims letters, EOB's and bills - I do keep these - all of them, even after they're paid.

Tax records - anything related to our taxes that we have paid (ie. property tax, etc.) I keep, along with the filings and any other correspondence.

I think that's it.

I don't keep any of it. I've just found that I do need to keep the utility bills (electric, water and sewer are the same company but not owned by the municipality.) because they do thing strangely here. (I've never before needed to.) Everything else goes into the trash once it is paid in full.

Dh's LES are available online so I've no need to keep those either.

Add to that, almost anything and everything is available online now - credit card statements, banking statements, regular bills like water, gas, electric - I pay almost everything online (except for the two hold out companies that are local and won't invest in the technology to let me do it!) and once it's credited, if I have a paper copy, it gets tossed (unless I need it for a business expense).

I pay my bills on-line through my bank, not individual payees, so it doesn't matter if some companies don't allow you to pay on-line. My bank sends paper checks to some, electronic ones to others; it's all the same to *me*. And the I can see in one place--my on-line bank account--everything that is paid.

I pay my bills on-line through my bank, not individual payees, so it doesn't matter if some companies don't allow you to pay on-line. My bank sends paper checks to some, electronic ones to others; it's all the same to *me*. And the I can see in one place--my on-line bank account--everything that is paid.

ROFL - sorry I have to laugh for a second....one of the payments I can't make online is actually to my BANK - yup, here we are in 2011 and my bank still hasn't set up the ability to pay my car loan online. Yes, I can do the bill pay online and have them cut a check to themselves...but really, I have to go to the bank to deposit DH's check anyway, so I just pay it at the same time. I could also do auto-pay with that, except DH doesn't get paid the same day each month, or even every four weeks, or on any real particular cycle - we have periods in the year where we'll go six weeks between checks, so it is easier for me to make the payment since I know when we have the money and when I need to make advance payments when we'll go for a period without a check.

The other one is our water company - I can't even see the account online! - LOL - I just pay them like once a year by overpaying and then not dealing with them again. I have on the account that they call when I'm down to funds that'll cover another month or so, and just pay over the phone another year's estimate and am done with it.

• 1 month later...

I do online billing wherever possible. I keep DH's paystubs for the year, I'll toss them after taxes. (I think part of this is because I applied for Medicaid when I was pregnant with DD and we needed paystubs. I don't think we'll need to apply for any aid like that anytime soon, but I guess it's in my head now..)