Menu

Narration/Attention Issues

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been lurking around for awhile to get an idea of what these forums are like and picking up any information I can. I'm new to homeschooling. I just started homeschooling my 6yo daughter last Monday, so it's all very new to us.

My issue is with narration. DD6 has a very short attention span. It takes about 20-60 seconds and she's gone. I can get her back relatively easily, but then she's daydreaming again. Are there any techniques I can use to (1) keep her interested and (2) get her to remember what I read to her? She is a visual learner and today I did try to put more emphasis on making mental pictures and also I cut down narrations to one sentence.

It just seems to be very slow going. *sigh*

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

My 5 y.o. is like this.

I engage him by asking him questions before we start to read a book about the pictures (pics are important for him!)

"What do you see?"

"What do you think is going to happen?"

I don't read more than a page before asking him more specific questions.

He does better with short sessions, too.

Have you tried starting with picture narrations? Instead of narrating a story, start teaching narration with pictures by asking questions about a picture. That way she's learning the skill of narration without having to combine with with the skill of attention/listening. Then progress to telling a *short* story about the picture, which pairs the visual and listening components. Next step is narration of a very short story--think 1 minute at first--for the transition to story narration.

Another approach that might also help, is allowing her to draw her "narration" then progress to making a drawing and retelling the story with her picture for a prompt.

At 6, short attention is pretty normal. My 6 y.o. uses a lot of his attention just trying to sit still! (Well, still-ish.) Many children are more visual than auditory at this age, but her listening skills will improve with practice and maturity.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

Thank you, Sophia & Cat, for the replies.

I do have another question though. I had planned on using narration a lot as a way of gauging what she does or doesn't understand. If I'm not using this technique, particularly in science and history... I'm not sure I will know if she's "getting it" if you know what I mean? She does like to draw pictures... but is that enough? lol

So, I guess my question is: What sort of output should I be expecting from a child who cannot pay attention? By output I mean... physical representation of what she is learning, like narrations, pictures, etc. Should I just let all that go?

Let it go for now.

She's six. Narration sounds so simple to us as adults because we're so accustomed to retaining, organizing and reusing information, but narration is actually a combination of several skills. Right now what she's learning is attention, retention, prioritizing information, sequencing, putting her thoughts into pictures and words, then retelling them in her own words. Whew! Those are big skills and they take practice.

Really, don't worry about her producing a lot of science and history output right now. Science and history at 6 aren't as crucial as basic math and language. I take science and history very seriously, but I teach them as though they are "fun" subjects, very active and hands-on. (Which takes a lot more planning and effort on my part!) My active boys often don't realize that "Go tell Dad about your experiment, step-by-step," is their narration exercise, for example.

Trust that she's absorbing what she can. Meet her where she is, keep the demands simple, and increase them gradually as she masters each skill. If attention is where she's struggling, work on that one thing for now.

Cat

My understanding from reading WTM is that this age is for exposure and not mastery in the content areas of history and science. Focusing on keeping things fun and engaging is more important than drilling for mastery of concepts.

We start next week with a 6yo and 4.5yo. I'm fretting that we will have some of the same issues. Glad you brought up the question and I'm happy to read the responses.

Pam

You sound like you have a very normal 6 yr old. If you can't daydream as a child then when can you? :)

As others have said, try asking questions more often throughout the reading instead of waiting until the end.

Letting her draw pictures for her narration is great. The she can tell you about her picture and you write it for her. That is actually how NOEO Science assignments are for that age. NOEO science is a nice program for the grammar stage. I haven't used the upper levels so I can't give my opinion on those. It is by a Christian company but there is no religious content in the material. I mention this because of your signature. Also, again as others have said science and history at this stage is for exposure and wonder.

Another thought, some kids seem to focus a little more is they have some sot of fidget in their hands like a small toy or putty. You could try and see if it helps her focus a bit. It has the opposite affect on my 7 yr old! :tongue_smilie:

Another thought, some kids seem to focus a little more is they have some sot of fidget in their hands like a small toy or putty. You could try and see if it helps her focus a bit. It has the opposite affect on my 7 yr old! :tongue_smilie:

Mine is the same way. I had also read that when you have an active child you should let them move and take in whatever they can, but I find that when I give my daughter something to play with or let her sit up, sit down, and go under the table... I just lose her completely. She has no idea what I'm saying and couldn't care less about it.

Although, drawing pictures does seem to work somewhat. She has to sit still and concentrate on what she's doing.

Anyway, today for science I am putting the books away and we're making an edible model of the earth. :)