Menu

Are you more or less stressed out with HSing?

Okay, crazy question I know. I can't wait to read the responses. I am new to the whole HSing idea. I am going to start soon (have already been testing the waters), for my second and first grader for the first time. Here is what I won't miss:

1) no more crazy running around in the morning to quick get ready to get out the door,

2)my kids already don't take the bus since my oldest was threatened to death by some older kids when she was a kindergartener (yes, we live in a nice upper/middle class suburb - it happens everywhere!) So, now I have to pack up everyone to drive to school - even in the winter.

3) I totally disagree with the values, or lack there of in the ps.

4) Tired of the snotty PTO and non PTO women that think they need to dress up to "show off". Me, I am lucky if I don't have snot on me from my 2 year old.

5) Knowing the my oldest is bored and my middle one goes to school crying every day (and every night before school)

I could go on, but I think you get the hint.

So, with all that, am I crazy thinking HS might actually be less stressful? Will I find myself more calm and not yelling as much (ie. let's get going!)

I think it is a trade-off. I don't know that I'm less stressed when I weigh everything but I do know that much much MUCH prefer the stresses of homeschooling over public school.

I'll take the stress over deciding curriculum vs. the stress over trying to get public school curricula to work with my kids.

I'll take the stress of managing everyone all day vs having to be somewhere when the rooster crows.

I'll take the stress of managing family dynamics vs daily peer issues

I can totally understand why it feels like less stress - I prefer these stresses yk? Likewise, I can see why some people would prefer to send their kids off ;)

I am way less stressed because I don't have to worry about:

1. Getting my weekly phone call from the guidance counselor about what "weird" thing my Aspie boy did.

2. Them not learning any science or history.

3. The dumb way they taught math at the PS.

4. Packing lunches.

5. Having clean clothes available promptly at 7:30 AM M-F. :tongue_smilie:

6. The mean girls on the bus who tormented ds1.

7. All the schlepping to birthday parties and buying all the birthday party presents. (Their classmates invited everyone to every single birthday party-Chaos and Confusion!)

I am way less stressed because I don't have to worry about:

1. Getting my weekly phone call from the guidance counselor about what "weird" thing my Aspie boy did.

2. Them not learning any science or history.

3. The dumb way they taught math at the PS.

4. Packing lunches.

5. Having clean clothes available promptly at 7:30 AM M-F. :tongue_smilie:

6. The mean girls on the bus who tormented ds1.

7. All the schlepping to birthday parties and buying all the birthday party presents. (Their classmates invited everyone to every single birthday party-Chaos and Confusion!)

:iagree:

And shall I add (in my case) -- no IEP meetings!! And no buying wrapping paper, donuts, pizza kits, candy, greeting cards, or any other school fundraiser that came along!

Just fyi...my oldest 3 were / are / have always been homeschooled. My youngest has autism and we've only been homeschooling for a few months. I don't miss any of it. My youngest has autism not "attention-seeking behavior problems". :glare:

I am a lot less stressed with my DC out of school...that morning rush and afternoon crankiness was awful! That being said, be careful about signing up for too many activities...Last fall the stress level crept back up b/c of overscheduling...This fall I am being much more conservative in what outside commitments we make.

I think I'm less stressed as far as "school" goes, but more as far as balancing school and work goes. I feel a LOT more guilty at teaching a class, for example, when I have to worry about DD not only being stuck with me on campus, but that it's cutting into her school time or into her free, unstructured playtime (which I consider as important as school at her age).

A LOT less stressed because in addition to not worrying about IEPs, school behavior, teachers, etc. for my OWN kids, I was also able to quit teaching 26 of your kids! :) (OK, not "your" kids, but you know...)

Working created a hell of a lot more stress in our lives than homeschooling does. My kids need a lot. I'm sure all kids need a lot, but my girls didn't come to us until they were almost 5. They hadn't even had a childhood and were thrown into school. The only time we were together was when I was telling them to hurry up!

I thought we were taking a one year break to catch up my dd with special needs because of a horrible year. Now, we are creating a lifestyle that is allowing my girls to grow and heal.

My kids needed a mother, not a manager.