Menu

Where do you buy fish oil since Japan's accident?

My question has been where to buy the fish, period! We eat a lot of Alaskan salmon, but now I'm worried that the radiation off Japan's waters may spread to affect marine life throughout the Pacific.

ETA: This article would seem to indicate there is a low risk level. I'm continuing to research the issue though.

Edited by Aelwydd

This is the info I have on fish oil.

Make sure to get a good, high-quality fish oil – such as Carlsons’s. You want to avoid fish oil that may come from polluted sources or that may be high in mercury. Other good brands are Nordic Naturals, Enzymatic Therapy, and Metagenics.

Fish Oil is good for your heart partially because it decreases blood clotting and reduces blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be helpful. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

For all others, 1 gram (1,000 mg) is fine.

Stop taking fish oil and any EPA supplements 2 weeks before surgery – as well as possibly avoiding a fish dinner the night before any surgery.

Do not take fish oils if you are on any blood thinner.