Menu

Hello, I am planning on taking a few courses with FLVS. I was wondering if anybody had any exprience with them. I am taking the courses.

AP Literature and Composition(FLVS)

AP Chemistry (Keystone)

Algebra 2 (Saxon)

AP Environmental Science (FLVS)

AP U.S. History (FLVS)

Spanish 3 or AP Spanish (FLVS)

Has anybody taken these courses?:confused:

Hello, I am planning on taking a few courses with FLVS. I was wondering if anybody had any exprience with them. I am taking the courses.

AP Chemistry (Keystone)

Algebra 2 (Saxon)

AP U.S. History (FLVS)

Both of my kids have taken courses through FLVS, but the only one on your list that either has taken is Algebra 2.

My daughter took it a few years ago and wasn't a big fan. But she's also not a math person.

In general, my kids have had good experiences with FLVS.

Have you taken any classes through FLVS? My kids have taken 8-10 FLVS classes. A FLVS teacher suggested only taking 2 classes at a time. The kids both feel this was good advice. Generally they finished the class early and then started another. But they like block scheduling so maybe you would enjoy 4 at one time.

If you have any computer problems and most of your coursework is online, you could end up very far behind. We went through hurricanes one year, and even though we had power and access, the instructors were unable to grade for a couple of weeks.

All of my 3 have taken/are taking FLVS courses. That is a very full load you are looking at. The time spent on the computer can add up and I agree with the other poster that 2 at a time is a good idea. That is what we do too. It allows you to focus all your attention on finishing those on the accelerated pace and then you can take two more. You'll still do the same amount in a year but it is easier than juggling 4 FLVS classes at once-and all they entail (teacher contacts, discussions, team projects, labs etc.)

How the courses work:

You'll have all you need on the FLVS site. Your work will be saved and submitted as a file (rtf) that is attached via an assessments page online. You generally will have discussion and projects that you'll do with other students and that is done via email (flvs) or telephone and submitted to the teacher. The science classes do have labs. It is also helpful to know Powerpoint because you most likely will be asked to do presentations. The Spanish class will require you to submit audio files of your translations and that is easy. Everything you will need to do is explained in a welcome call and a tutorial that you will be required to watch. Being on Pace is very important but if you accelerate you'll never have to worry about that. AP classes may have a text that will be mailed to you along with a return envelope to send the text back when you finish the course. You'll take your AP test at a local High School-just call the HS and tell them you are FLVS and they will schedule you for the test. You will also have a transcript that you can access at the FLVS website and that is handy for providing along with college admission paperwork and recordkeeping. FLVS doesn't give a HS diploma but that is something your homeschool parent educator can generate.

I can't think of anything else right now so if you have any questions, just ask. :) We really like FLVS. The instructors have all been very nice and extremely helpful. Hope this helps!

Oh wow thank you for all these post.

@Kate in FL No I have not taken any courses with FLVS. I like block scheduling but it has its disadvantages if you don't like the class. As far as hurricanes go well theirs not much I can do :leaving:.

@2cents Thank you so much for explaining how the courses work. It does make sense that that It would be hard to juggle all of the teacher calls and discussions. But I have taken 6 online courses with keystone which are just like FLVS but without the teacher calls. If I put in extra hours 7 days a week how soon do you think I can finish the courses? I am just wondering.

@BeckyFL Yes I do live in Florida and the fact that they are free is a big selling point. :001_smile:

Oh wow thank you for all these post.

@2cents Thank you so much for explaining how the courses work. It does make sense that that It would be hard to juggle all of the teacher calls and discussions. But I have taken 6 online courses with keystone which are just like FLVS but without the teacher calls. If I put in extra hours 7 days a week how soon do you think I can finish the courses? I am just wondering.

With an extra 7 hours, you could finish very quickly. My girls started HS Spanish 2 around June 15 and they put in 10-12 hours a week and will finish around the middle of September. That is for both semesters. So a year in approx. 3 mos-spending 10-12 hours over 5 days a week (about 2 hrs a day). That is one course. I think if you spend that much on each of yours, you could do the about the same. I'd plan on doing some on the weekend so that your load during the week isn't as heavy.

You can't control the weather or lots of other things. But if you focus on 2 classes to get done and then take 2 more, it may be less stressful. Just a thought but you may deal better. My kids did best with 2 at a time--averaging 4-5 FLVS classes a year.

Unlike a pp, we had a good experience with FLVS. Not as rigorous as our home classes, but a decent introduction to the "real world" they are both dealing with now. And we were able to get good LOR from FLVS teachers. Both my kids were accepted at each college to which they applied.

AP Chemistry (Keystone)

Algebra 2 (Saxon)

AP U.S. History (FLVS)

My kids have taken several courses from FLVS. Our standard is typically no more than two at a time -- mostly because they are not as interesting and stimulating as an IRL class or at-home study. I consider them *GitRdone* classes, although my dc have had some excellent teachers.

Ds2 took AP Environmental this year and both dd1 and dd2 took AP Eng. Lang and Comp. They did well in the classes and were prepared for the exams.

Two considerations from your list:

1) Are you okay taking that many AP exams and will you be in a place for almost 2 weeks to take them? Look up the 2012 AP exam schedule to see when the tests fall and what your study schedule will be like.

2) Are you okay studying Spanish 3 or AP Spanish through the computer without an interactice class? My dc have done Latin through FLVS, but it's less a spoken language. For modern languages, they have taken them through dual-enrollment.

HTH,

Lisa

Are you primarily switching to FLVS for cost savings or have you been dissatisfied with Keystone? We are looking into some possible online AP courses for my ds. He is enrolled in a charter school, but is interested in taking some APs that are not offered at his school. Just wondering why you were switching from Keystone to FLVS.

TIA.

I had a great experience with keystone and am mainly making the switch due to costs. The program is solid though the AP did have a bit of busy work. About 3-5 assignments a week. The only teacher involvement in this course is if you bother to email or call them in which they will respond within 24 hours hope i helped!:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is taking Chinese through FLVS and it has been wonderful. She is in the middle of her 2nd semester. Her teacher is a native speaker, is always available for questions either through email or phone, and is very encouraging. I would liken the course to using Rosetta Stone but with a personal tutor. Plus you can't beat the price ;)

I would also encourage you to take no more than 4 classes at a time. if you want to have a life outside of school work.