Menu

What is your earliest memory of a news event that made national headlines?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to amend my earlier answer. I was watching the 1989 World Series when the earthquake hit San Francisco. I was six, working on one of those 100 piece puzzles while my grandpa put the finishing touches on my dollhouse. The screen went green, but you could still hear the announcers. After that, I don't really remember any major event until The Juice on the loose.

Gosh, now that you mention it, I was sort of aware of the 84 Olympics. I definitely remember Mary Lou Retton! I would have been 6.

I don't know if I watched any of the Olympics, but I do remember MLR too, and being envious of other girls who had USA team leotards. I would have placed myself as a little older then (that was right around when I turned 5), but I can't imagine those leotards being popular years after the fact :)

My name is Jessica, so I was very into the Baby Jessica thing!

I already answered that I remember seeing Ford sworn in at age 3, because that was on the news. But related to that, I remember as a very little girl (possibly that summer of 1974), sitting on the beach in NJ with my father and asking him what that brown stuff all over was. It is actually a kind of seaweed that sort of resembles the brown film inside cassette tapes, and my dad told me that it was Nixon's tapes! :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I never watched the news growing up. The Waco siege was the first thing I remember. I was a senior in high school.

OJ Simpson was the next thing, only because my boss at the time watched everything related during work hours.

9-11 was the next time I watched the news. I only tune in when there is a storm heading my way...other then that I try to avoid it.

I never watched the news growing up. The Waco siege was the first thing I remember. I was a senior in high school.

OJ Simpson was the next thing, only because my boss at the time watched everything related during work hours.

9-11 was the next time I watched the news. I only tune in when there is a storm heading my way...other then that I try to avoid it.

Hay, I remember the OJ Simpson thing. Other then that it Princess Diana dieing. I'm not sure which came first.

The first space shuttle launch. I was in 3rd grade, and a TV was wheeled into our classroom so we could watch. That's about all I remember.

The next was the shuttle challenger explosion, in 7th grade. Our social studies teacher had applied to be the civilian passenger, but of course we all know Christa MacAuliffe was the one chosen. That event hit us all very hard. Fortunately for us it was a snow day, so we weren't gathered around the TV at school to witness it.

Edited by AHASRADA