Menu

TT question--help!

Okay, so it's our first day of the new school year and we already have an "issue!" I have TT Geometry for my 9th grader. Was I incorrect in thinking that the actual problem sets were going to be done on the computer? All that was on our cd's was the lesson lecture and the practice problems. Is my dd supposed to do the problem sets on paper, using the workbook?

Thanks!

Yes, they do it on paper and you grade it with the key. Until recently, TT 7 was the last one to actually do it on computer. I think they have redone PreAlg and Alg for the fall so that it can be done on the computer. ( But it seems like I read on here that it hasn't shipped yet.) Geometry is still paper and pencil.

They do the work on paper. The (short) answers are in the Answer Key book. The practice problem complete solutions are on the Lecture and Practice CD-ROMs, and the problem set complete solutions are on the Step-by-Step Solutions CD-ROMs.

:iagree:

There are 3 sets of CDs, but the student uses paper.

I can't figure out how you'd do geometry on the computer. Maybe they'll do it. But... (1) you have to learn to use a compass and such, and (2) the proofs don't have only one right answer.

Julie

I can't figure out how you'd do geometry on the computer. Maybe they'll do it. But... (1) you have to learn to use a compass and such, and (2) the proofs don't have only one right answer.

Julie

I think TT is working on this. It's for the reasons you mention that they expect it will take some time. The same goes for Pre-Calc; it's in the works but don't hold your breath.:001_smile:

We found the solutions to the proofs to be pretty worthless. As another poster mentioned, the answers can be developed many different ways based on logic. Our son rarely came to the solution the way the book did and that made me really nervous. So....we discovered that they have a phone tutor available for questions and I had our son run his proofs by him on a regular basis until I was comfortable knowing he was getting it. Then I'd only run the proofs on the tests with the tutor.

Our son is just finished a pre-calc class at the community college with the only A in the class!

Julie

I don't think they are going to do it, at least the last time I did one of those 'Chat' sessions at their site. The operator said that there are just too many variables for correct answers in Geometry through Precalc so the automated grading would be quite a challenge.

I was really kind of irritated with TT, though, because when asked if/when they were going to add a Calculus course----the guy said that because it's really a college level course, they just assume kids will take it at their local CC. Really? I sure don't see one around here :glare:

I don't think they are going to do it, at least the last time I did one of those 'Chat' sessions at their site. The operator said that there are just too many variables for correct answers in Geometry through Precalc so the automated grading would be quite a challenge.

I was really kind of irritated with TT, though, because when asked if/when they were going to add a Calculus course----the guy said that because it's really a college level course, they just assume kids will take it at their local CC. Really? I sure don't see one around here :glare:

My oldest did Chalkdust for Calculus without issues. Middle son is going with Thinkwell as he thought the Chalkdust instructor wasn't as easy to understand. They may not be TT, but there are still options for Calc with videos, etc.