Menu

Should I get the tests for Jacob's Algebra?...

I didn't use the tests at all -- instead, I let the percentages for the daily work determine the final grade for transcripts. Some people prefer using just the test scores to determine a grade/percentage for high school transcripts.

Also, our state does not require you produce work from the student, but tests can be a good "sampling" if you have to keep a portfolio of work. (That way you don't have to keep the entire year's worth of papers to prove he did the course, or to show samples of his work if required -- you could just save and store the tests.)

As far as learning the material, no, I never felt we needed the tests. It was always obvious in doing the daily work whether or not he was "getting it" or not -- and if not, then we would go over the lesson again, and do additional problems from from the chapter, or from the chapter review that covered that concept.

Best of luck, Rhonda! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Think I'll save the money and add in some extra "everyday math" days (which can also be used as "lesson-stretcher" days if needed).

Thanks for mentioning transcripts, too. I wasn't really thinking about that, but I guess the time has arrived. :tongue_smilie:

Rhonda

QUOTE: "Thanks for mentioning transcripts, too. I wasn't really thinking about that, but I guess the time has arrived." UNQUOTE --- Scary, isn't it, Rhonda!! (lol) I spent the 2/3rds of this school year (our first year of 9th grade!) trying to figure out *what* I was supposed to be doing -- for some reason, it felt like I was a homeschool "newbie" all over again. But, I think I've got my head in the high school game now! : ) Warmly, Lori

I was posting to someone on the K-8 board about music resources that I used when I taught K-6th grade music. And, my own kids know *NOTHING* about music except what it is!

oh, So many things I wish I could do over! It is hard to ditch the guilt and just move on to the next thing.

At least I did find my Test Masters, so they're here is we want them. Nothing like having dh home in a cleaning rampage to get my domestic act together....

Thanks for all your help, Lori. You are such an inspiration!

Rhonda

oh, So many things I wish I could do over! It is hard to ditch the guilt and just move on to the next thing.

Rhonda, thanks for the reality check! Your advice above is right on. : )

I've been sorting through homeschool stuff too, this week, trying to clean out, and have been having the *exact* same thoughts! : ) Not that I wish we'd pushed harder... I guess there are always the pile of books you just never had time to get to; the projects I thought we'd do but didn't because my kids weren't "into" hands-on/crafty things; the co-op classes it would have been fun to teach; the terrific programs and opportunities my kids turned down because they weren't interested or didn't want to invest the work; the art/music/Latin/foreign language that we never got to because we were just struggling to get through "the basics"...

Sigh... Can't do it all, and they grow up so fast! The one thing I can say that we "did right" -- and we really can't take credit for this, as I think it is the Lord's blessing to us -- is relationship. We are tremendously blessed to have 2 teen boys who really do enjoy being with us, who trust us, and who talk with us, and who doing things with us, their parents. THAT'S the success to focus on. What could be better?! : )

And I bet you have that, too, Rhonda! Hugs, Lori

I use the tests. I disagree that they were written by someone else. The problems are very similiar to those in the review sets in order, content, and level of difficulty. You could save money by just using one of the review sets as a test.

I don't use scores from my son's daily problem sets because I figure he is still learning when he is doing them. His grade in algebra is based on his test scores because he is taking the test after mastering the material.

(Disclaimer: My son is just finishing 6th grade so I know essentially nothing about grading for high school transcripts. But for algebra I have given it some thought because a grade for Algebra I could end up on his transcript.)